Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello Everybody

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello Everybody

Postby prettyolive » Tue May 30, 2017 9:16 pm

I totally disagree with the person who said not to put your hand in her cage. She needs to get to know you physically and emotional. Needs to smell and feel your hand while you talk to her. This is the best time, while she is this young, to create a trusting bond between you two.

I had Olive's DNA tested thru a blood test with an avian expert vet to find out her sex. Not that it was so important, but I wanted to know what to name her and to relate to her better.
prettyolive
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Female Green Cheek Pineapple Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 am

Welcome to the forum, Olive! A handfed parrot doesn't really need to 'learn' the smell or the feel of a human hand, it was handfed by a human's hand so it already knows everything it needs to know. The only thing it needs to learn is to trust its new human and putting a hand inside the cage is not going to achieve this. Respecting its wishes and not imposing one's will works much better than flooding (sticking one's hand in the cage of an unwilling bird is a textbook flooding technique} in the long term. We used to use flooding techniques years ago but we have learned now that, although they do work in the short term, they eventually backfire.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mmeager » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:39 am

Welcome to the forum!!!
I believe that establishing trust with your bird is the key to a great relationship together, a birds cage is theirs, its their safe haven, from what I have learned, a bird can feel a betrayal of trust if their personal space is invaded, I guess just like we do. So the idea is to read your bird, learn their reactions and responses, and never push those boundaries, some birds are ok with invasion of their house, and others are not, so respect that.
It sounds to me that you are already establishing a relationship with your baby! Good on you! keep up the good work, the results will astound you!
mmeager
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Previous

Return to Introductions