Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Travel out of the Country with Bird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Travel out of the Country with Bird

Postby sweetie1818 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 am

Hi I have a ESA (Emotional Support Animal) which is my Hahns Macaw and I am moving to the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) in a few months and I have done some research on traveling with an ESA and when I called the Dominican Airport, they informed me that they do not allow any birds to enter their country. I explained that I am moving to the D.R. and that I travel with my Emotional Support Animal (Bird) and the department of animal and agriculture at the D.R. airport told me that they would have to quarantine the bird for a week. I then told them that I have the Health Certificate that is approved by the USDA. I also told him that I will never give up my bird, not even for a minute !! He then gave me a telephone number of another department where they can answer more questions but as I have called several times and no one will pick up the phone. This is really scary...... Can anyone help !!! ???? Thank you. :shock: :shock:
sweetie1818
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hahns Macaw
Flight: No

Re: Travel out of the Country with Bird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:07 pm

I checked their consulate page and it did not say you cannot bring a bird in. What it does say is that they don't recommend you bring one if you are going on vacations because it will have to be quarantined so I would make sure I get a valid Health Certificate (make sure your bird is tested for things like chlamydiosis, borna, Pacheco, etc and that the negative results are stated on the certificate). I would also go to the consulate or embassy in person and ask who can issue this document and whether it needs to be consularized, and call/write the department that handles the actual quarantine in case you need to make a reservation for it in advance.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions