Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What all should I make sure I have before getting a bird?

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

What all should I make sure I have before getting a bird?

Postby Jaybird0302 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm new here, and I plan on getting a Green Cheeked Conure. I already have a large cage picked out and I know what kinds of food I should get, but is there anything someone can recommend having a new bird owner get? Something they wished they had gotten when they first got their bird?
Jaybird0302
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: What all should I make sure I have before getting a bird?

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 13, 2017 10:27 am

Well, a large cage with some nice chewy toys with a good spot available for it (like, in front of a window), a fresh food diet planned out (they can't be free-fed high protein food) and good quality (the right specs!) full spectrum light and you are all set BUT the most important thing you need with GCCs is Time (with capital 'T'!). You need to spend many, many hours of one-on-one every single day of their lives because they are EXTREMELY needy little birds - and these hours have to be there for the next 25-30 years.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions