Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello

Postby kdbrum » Wed May 31, 2017 9:39 am

Hello,
New to the site. My wife and I have had a few birds over the last several decades, some we fostered and one we had since being weened - which is why i am here.
We had a 23 year old goffins that was killed in a horrible accident a couple days ago. He was one of our most precious family members and will be missed terribly. The grieving continues yes, but i know that it won't be long before we are ready to add a new one to the family. We love birds, but like when you lose any pet, you don't want to 'replace' them, so we are considering other species, most specifically african greys. That said, we would also love to help foster or rescue birds as well. Any help or direction?
kdbrum
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Hello

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 31, 2017 10:15 am

Welcome to the forum, KD, and please accept my most sincere condolences on your loss! I lost a lesser sulfur back in March and I still cannot believe he is no longer here with me!

I don't know where you are located but I am sure there are rescues nearby that can use your volunteering there as well as fostering - there are sooooo many birds in rescues and, in truth, rescues are not the best place for a parrot so I am sure that they can use your help!

Grays are completely different from toos. They are needy, too, but in a different way. And, whereas toos usually love drama, loud music, touchy-feely people and lots of energy around them, grays are the opposite. They don't do well in high energy households, they don't really like to be touched much unless it's breeding season and much prefer a quiet, not ever changing environment and a nice shoulder where they can perch for hours and hours without doing much more than supervising their humans' activities.

Now, I want you to think about something. Grays are wonderful and I am not trying to make you change your mind if you already decided on one but if you can provide a home for a homeless too, I would ask you to seriously consider doing it. Grays are easy to rehome because everybody wants one while toos... well, the poor toos are the number one given up bird and the rescues are full of them so anybody who can keep a too happy and healthy should consider giving a homeless one the chance. Plus, there are so many different species of toos that you can easily choose one that will not even remind you of the one you lost. Just think about it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby kdbrum » Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 am

Thank you Paj, we are missing him dearly. We move into a new house in 8 days that , one of the main selling features for us was it has a nice 'bird' room that we knew our Shiloh would just love. Anyway, no we are not sold on the grey, and we do prefer to adopt a friend that needs a great home. We are in NW Indiana, just south of Chicago. In just the little time we've started researching - thought we had 40 more years with our buddy - we haven't seen much in the rescue/adoption sector but surely there must be. And, if toos are the most given up we would be happy with having another.
kdbrum
Parrotlet

Postby Bird woman » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Welcome to the forum , and so sorry your baby is gone. Please remember no 2 birds are alike or replaceable.Have you had your baby many years as I've seen it happen to often in my years of rescuing , a grieving family gets another bird and it's not even close to there birds anything except maybe species.This little rescue of mine is a product of just that same thing happening many years ago. Also after living with a little rambunctious clown goffin, honestly I don't think an African grey is going to do it for you, but who knows. I am a too lover all the way and have tried to keep my little happy acres just for that species although I have others here. I wish you were close but I'm sure you will find a reputable rescue there. Hey pajirta how close are they to that guy I told you about , remember Norfolk Va ??? I know the pain you are feeling and I wish there was something I could do to make it easier , how long did you have buddy? Again welcome I am bird woman and it should be changed to cockatoo slave! :roll:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby kdbrum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 am

Hi BW, thanks for the welcome.

We had our buddy for a little over 23 years - his name was Shiloh - we got him as a baby about a week after he was weaned. I am crying just typing his name, oh well.

At this point my wife doesn't even want to think about another, but i know it won't be long until we do. I mention a grey only because that is one breed that my wife has said she would always like to have, but now that we are too-less, that may very well change. The personality our too brought to the family was perfect and is more in line with what i would prefer so we will see. And of course, if at all possible, rescue or adoption is our preferred route. Other than Shiloh, all our other pets are a mixture of both.
kdbrum
Parrotlet

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:32 am

I understand completely , I still cry for my Rosie and Maggie . We have them so long and they are and should be part of our family . I deal with so many tragic situations where these winged beauties are concerned and do what I can , but it's never enough. Just remember your baby is flying free now and as good of care as we try to provide it's never enough . Birds were ment to be free in a perfect world. I wish you were on my side of the country , I have so many that need a loving caring home and you seem to have that open heart that it takes. Again I'm so very sorry . :flapping: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:07 am

No, NW Indiana is too far from center Virginia and, besides, they want their birds to go to a program and not individuals.

I couldn't find anything in Indiana but I am sure there are lots of bird rescues there, too.

There is this rescue in Illinois: https://www.facebook.com/IllinoisParrotRescue
This one in Michigan: http://crossroadsbirdhaven.weebly.com/

I would look in CL because, nowadays, you find more birds there than in rescues!
There was a goffin listed yesterday there: https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pet/6128796957.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby kdbrum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 am

Oh, Paj, thanks so much! I have just sent an email re Jasper to see if he is still available and what the lay of the land is. We are only about 2-3 hours away, depending on weather and traffic.

!!!!!! :) :)
kdbrum
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 am

A word of advice on replying to CL, if I may? I have both posted animals for adoption there and responded to ads and I think that just asking if the animal is still available might not be the best way of putting you at the front of the line. I always appreciate it when people tell me a bit about themselves and the reason why they want the animal and that's what I always do when I respond to an ad. I usually start by saying that I am very interested in their animal and why, and then proceed to tell them that I can give them good personal and vet references (I usually mention my vet's name here) and to describe the kind of home and care they will receive - you know, things like: It's me and my husband (all children are grown), we own a one family house (here I add features like 'buffer zones' on both doors if it's a bird or a 'fenced-in backyard' if it's a dog - that kind of thing), good diet (I might make a mention of an important factor of the diet -like fresh organic produce daily for a bird- lots of out-of-cage hours if it's a bird or no crates if it's a dog... that kind of thing. Oh, and I ALWAYS add that I would be more than happy for them to come over, check out my house and ask as many question as they would like before they make up their mind and offer to keep them informed of how the animal does.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby kdbrum » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:48 am

Ok got it, guess i let the excitement get to me and already emailed. I will most certainly follow up with info according to your suggestions! We will be moving into our new home next weekend and it would be awesome to bring Jasper into that wonderful 'room with a view' that sold us on the place!

Will post what we find out!
kdbrum
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Introductions