Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Quiet Quaker?

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Quiet Quaker?

Postby MisoTheQuaker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Hello everyone! I recently got a baby quaker parrot. I've never owned any birds before this, not any pets, so I feel very inexperienced and I'm not sure what I'm doing. I bought him from a place at a flea market and visited him every weekend. He was quite talkative there and never hesitated to climb all over me and play. However, when I brought him home just last week, he has become quiet and doesn't step up onto my hand anymore. He's still super sweet and shows signs of being happy and content, but I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. He plays around in his cage just fine and seems healthy, I'm just confused as to why he doesn't make any noise anymore. Whenever I do coax him onto my hand and he's been on me for a while, he starts grunting. Almost like a pig oinking or a honk. He doesn't seem to be angry. But that's the only noise he makes anymore. He used to shake his head and chirp at the flea market, but now he doesn't. Is this just him getting used to the new environment? Is it something he'll grow out of? Is it just his personality? If anyone could shed some light on this for me, I'd really appreciate it! Also, if there are any tips or tricks to help with owning a quaker parrot, I would love to hear them. I want to learn how to make my feathered friend as happy as he can be. :monk:
MisoTheQuaker
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker parrot
Flight: No

Return to Introductions