Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hi everyone twopetparents4all here.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

hi everyone twopetparents4all here.

Postby twopetparents4all » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:07 pm

we have had our two budgie birds for a year now and have been through alot. glad to have found a place where people just want to talk about pets.
twopetparents4all
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
Flight: Yes

needed help and was turned away... twice

Postby twopetparents4all » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 pm

about 2 weeks ago i took cover off cage in moring to find my budg was bleeding from her wing.. not just alittle i was convinced she would not be here with us today. thankfully she is fine but what concerns me is my husband went straight to vet clinic and was turned away because there where no vets trained in small bird emergencies cody(my husband) i am latasha ) was told to take our bird to a vet in the city over from us. when we got to vet clinic after a crazy 45 min drive we sat in lobby filled the paperwork and then waited about ten minutes longer. when vet nurses came back out she said there is no one avaliable to look at budg all we can do is keep budg over the weekend untill monday when a vet can see her. i walked out and cried in my car thinking budg was a goner. we decided by budgs additude and non worry about anything execpt that fact that we were in a car AND without lemon we drove home well once we got back home and read a million articales we figured budg had pulled a number of feathers from under wing which bleed badly but would heal and budg is doing very well. i just dont understand why no one could even give us advise. so very glad to be connected with people that will if nothing else be supportive and helpful .
twopetparents4all
Parakeet

Re: hi everyone twopetparents4all here.

Postby liz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:45 am

That really makes me angry. This happened to me with a Chihuahua. She was being treated by one vet in a clinic but he was not there that day. The other vets said they had too many of their own appointments. A few hours later she died in my arms. She bled to death.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

wow at least we not alone

Postby twopetparents4all » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:09 am

i felt so unimportant when told there was nothing or no one to help for 2 days and to leave my bird behind.... i dont think so. such a helpless feeling when a pet is hurt or sick and no one will even give advice.
twopetparents4all
Parakeet

Re: hi everyone twopetparents4all here.

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:19 am

Oh, geez, what a terrible experience! I am so sorry you had to go through that! But, unfortunately for us, birdkeepers, and our birds, this is very common. That's why I always tell people to make sure they do their research and locate an emergency 24/7 clinic that has avian care because, even if the avian vet is not in, there will always be a technician that works with him/her who has first aid knowledge and training. I am fortunate in that the same clinic where my avian vet works is a 24/7 emergency one - and they are so nice that, once, when I had an emergency on a Sunday with a cockatoo that had gotten his toes bit and my avian vet was not there, they gave me the phone number of the clinic where he works on Sundays!

I am so glad that your bird is better and welcome to our forum!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions