Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Military family-Greys in need of temporary home

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Military family-Greys in need of temporary home

Postby kbirdie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:28 am

Hello,

I will be joining the military in the near future and have struggled with the fact that I have two African Grey Parrots that will need a home for a few years while I am relocated/away. I am looking for someone that has time to dedicate to them-and am looking early so I can find the right home. I will not be joining for at least six months.

I live outside of Washington D.C. but will be willing to travel a long distance in order to find the right place. I'm hoping to find someone either retired or who works from home - these guys need so much attention!

This is not a rescue situation as the birds are in good care with me, I just know I will need to find a safe place for them while I am in training and away from home for a few years.

Thank you for any interest or help.

Best,
Katy
kbirdie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrots
Flight: No

Re: Military family-Greys in need of temporary home

Postby kbirdie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 am

I forgot to add some background! These parrots are both 15 years old. One I handfed, and the other I adopted about 4 years ago (from another military family). One parrot is EXTREMELY friendly and wants to be with you at ALL TIMES. He's the one I raised. The other parrot is very standoffish and although he is very entertaining (talks up a storm) he is not cuddly at all. So I like to say you have the best of both worlds with these two. Their names are Bird and Leo, and they are like my kids so if you get me started talking about them I may never stop. Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Thanks again,
Katy
kbirdie
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum, Katy, Bird and Leo! Thank you so much for starting to look early so as to find the right home for them.

I live in Northern New Jersey and, although I no longer take in birds, I do make an exception every now and then so you can consider me for temporarily fostering your birds - and I will not charge you boarding but you would have to be responsible for medical expenses. If you bother to read my postings, you will be able to figure out the care I will give them.

The only thing is that there are two issues that need to be taken into consideration:

1] I will be leaving USA to move back home for good in another 5 or 6 years so if the fostering was for longer than this, you would need to consider other arrangements.

2] I don't know if you are referring to both of them as 'he' because you know for a fact they are both males or out of habit without actually knowing the genders, but, if they are males, I need to let you know that I have a 17 year old female and that, if she bonds with one of them as a mate, we could have a problem because I will NOT break a bonded pair - especially of grays that are VERY difficult to bond with another bird, even one of the same species and opposite gender, so, if it happens [doubtful but it might], it will be a very strong bond.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby kbirdie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Hi there!

Thank you so much for your response. To be perfectly honest a 5 year commitment is exactly what I was hoping for, and feared I would not find as I am looking for a four year military commitment and know it's asking a lot for someone to be willing to give them back.

About bonding, the Grey that I have had for 15 years has been sexed and is in fact a male. I have strong reason to believe the other Grey is male (Leo) because of some...say habits I have noticed-and can elaborate on later or over the phone, but you probably catch my drift. If Leo happened to bond to your girl I would be MORE than happy because his original owner gave him up four years ago and he has refused to bond with me. He also doesn't appear to like visitors or house sitters I've had. So for him to bond with a girl I would be so happy and knowing he had a good forever home like that (with me always as back up please!!). Bird, on the other hand is a special case, which I can again elaborate on over the phone- but because I raised him and socialized him since the time he could venture out he is VERY people oriented - I know, not a typical Grey characteristic! Although he shares a large space with Leo (three large cages put together as one) he does not care whether he spends time with him or not, he just wants to be with me. So I can say with 95% certainty that Bird will not bond with another Grey, AND will love nothing more than to spend time out with people.

I would love to talk with you more about this so let me know the best way to get in touch. New Jersey isn't far and I'd be happy to set up a meet and greet where I bring them to visit at first, if not to stay. I have lots of stories about these Grey's as they have even traveled around the country with me-and I have pictures to prove it!

The most important thing to me, and I'm sure you can appreciate this, is that I want them to be safe and happy and not passed around like so many birds-so I'm super happy to take as much time as we need to make sure we find a good temporary home. Also, I would really love visitation rights to Bird because I love him so much and the idea of giving him up for a period of time is scary and hard for me-even though I know it's what's best for him. Leo I'm committed to because I hate how parrots get passed around from owner to owner when they are not friendly so I know he'll always have a place with me if not in a loving environment.

I'm of course happy to cover vet bills and pitch in for their care-these guys are not cheap pets between the toys, fresh food, and pellets/nuts!

Hope to speak with you soon!

Best,
Katy
kbirdie
Parakeet

Postby kbirdie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Of course during your move I would be happy to return the favor and watch your girl while you made arrangements! I imagine you would take her home with you-but just wanted to let you know I'm a seasoned African Grey owner by now and am happy to help out.

Best,
Katy
kbirdie
Parakeet

Postby liz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:37 am

This little community has the best prospects of finding a foster human. Pajarita loves every little feathered baby that she has and ours too.
You also have to take into consideration that without visits your Greys may take Pajarita or whoever as there number one human. I doubt that the birds will forget you but they do change bonding over the years.
Rainbow has changed her #1 many times over the years. I started as #1 because I was the only one he had seen out of my family before. She rearranged and even put me down to #3 for a while. With changes in my family I am back to #1.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:57 am

I will send you a pm on this so we can talk about this further.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Katy, what are you doing in the military? My son is currently in 2LT in the Army, Ordnance Branch. He’s at Fort Lee right now.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Return to Introductions