Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

sassy Green Cheek Conure

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

sassy Green Cheek Conure

Postby mal614 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and new to owning a parrot. I got my little Green Cheek 3 months ago when she was 2 months old. She has acclimated beautifully with all members of the family, but it's clear to all that I am her favorite. After all, It's me who greets her every morning, feeds her and spends time training her by teaching her a few tricks. She's quiet, which is what I wanted...I live in an apartment. I haven't had blood work done, so I cannot be 100% sure she's a she. My immediate question is...As she gets older, will her energy die down? Her personality is non stop. She's playful, but also so full of energy from the moment she wakes up, to the moment she goes to sleep. I love her to death and maybe I was naive to thinking I would put her in one place and she would stay there until I moved her. Boy, was I wrong. Her wings were clipped when I got her from the breeder and the Avian Vet I took her to assured me her wings were clipped correctly. However, she took to flying on day 2 from bringing her home. She's very mobile. I hate the idea of clipping her wings. I like the idea of her flying around. Just wondering if she'll settle down alittle as she gets older?
mal614
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: sassy Green Cheek Conure

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 am

She might settle down a bit, but GCC are pretty active, spunky birds. It’s not surprising that she can fly even with clipped wings. Small, long-tail birds like that are pretty aerodynamic. You’ll always have to treat her like she can fly, clipped on not.

Since you will have to safeguard her like she is flighted anyhow, you might want to consider letting her flight feathers grow in. The exercise they get from flying can’t be duplicated by anything else. Whereas she is so young, you might want to get a good harness (I think Michael sells them) and get her used to it.

The GCC is a great bird. I have a four-year-old turquoise.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Re: sassy Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:30 am

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby! I thoroughly dislike the idea of handicapping any animal so, to me, clipping is not something I would ever consider so I only clip one bird and that's only because he only has one wing and it's more dangerous to him to try to fly that way -not that he would ever try it, anyway, because he is severely handicapped, infirm and old. But, of all the species of parrots, I think that GCC would suffer more than others when clipped because the only thing that they seem to want out of life is to be on their human and, when you clip them, they can't get to you which makes them extremely anxious and depressed.

My GCC is actually not that very active because although she can fly very well, all she really wants to do is cuddle either with me or with her boyfriend [the handicapped bird I mentioned above] and, as long as she is on my shoulder or hanging from the front neck of my top looking down on everything I do or cuddling with him, she is happy. GCCs are actually very easy birds to please - all you need to do is give them company 24/7/365, keep them at a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk and feed them lots of fruits and very little protein. If you do that, you will have yourself a quiet, sweet little bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions