Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

My First Indian Ringneck!!!!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

My First Indian Ringneck!!!!

Postby IzzyWizzy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:17 am

Hey Guys! I’m a new arrival to this forum that I came to because I just adopted my first Indian Ringneck!!! So of course I’ve done PLENTY of research as this is my first parrot/ bigger bird, I’ve owned 4 budgies and 2 cockatiels in the past. So I know it’s an albino but in terms of sexing, this has made it quite difficult as I can’t check if there’s a ring around the neck but looking at its size, head shape and tail length, I’m 90% sure she’s a girl but I really want to order a dna testing kit just to be sure. I’ve named her angel which I guess could suit a boy also but if she did turn out to be a boy it could be called Angelo?! Anyway I’ve had her for 3 days now and she seems to have settled in nicely although she was very nervous on the first day. I speak to her throughout the day and she responds most of the time and also happily makes a range of LOUD noises throughout the day. I know she is a very keen biter, around 4 years old btw, but she seems to be very comfortable around me now and I think it’s because I gave her some banana yesterday! I think she had a puppy in her last home as every now and then she barks and cries just like one. Anyway I’ll be sure to post more updates soon as this seems to be dragging on... you can leave me as many questions as you want, I don’t know everything about birds as I’m still quite young but really looking forward to this new journey with her!!
Thanks for reading, love IzzyWizzy
:irn:
IzzyWizzy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: My First Indian Ringneck!!!!

Postby IzzyWizzy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:20 am

PS. When I said she is quite comfortable around me, I didn’t mean I’d taken her out of the cage she just feels comfortable to do whatever she wants when I’m near the cage.
IzzyWizzy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringneck

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:42 am

IRN can be pretty cool little birds. Welcome to the forums.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:29 am

Welcome to the forum, Izzy and Angel! Spending time with her is the right thing to do so you are on your way to gain her trust. Now, a word of caution. IRN's are not like other medium size parrot species because most of them are companion birds and IRN's are more aviary than companion so, in order for them to be kept human-friendly, they require knowledgeable and frequent handling. I don't know what her background is but it will have a lot to do with the way she turns out to be after the honeymoon period so, if you know a bit about it and you let us know, we might be able to help you make things better. And, yes, you do need to DNA in order to sex albinos.

PS. Please make sure you are feeding it right because people tend to free-feed them pellets or seeds and they are not really good for them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Birdmum » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:09 am

Congratulations! I’m not an expert, but I have two Indian Ringnecks. My first, An albino female, is a rescue and the other I adopted as a baby because Cracker wanted to watch other Ringnecks on YouTube all day long, so I thought she needed a friend. Anyway, although Ringnecks are not thought of as companion birds, this doesn’t have to be true. Cracker at first was afraid of everything because she was abused. With patience, she really came around in a few weeks. Now they both want to sit on me as soon as I sit down and if I could, they would like petted and cuddled for hours. They both love to be petted to fall asleep and take their naps on me. They love to play games like peek-a-boo and mommy loves kisses (we made that one up) They also take a shower with me, do chores with me, go to garage sales with me (with a harness) visit my mom and allow everyone to pet them at the personal care home. I have the time to spend with them because I’m retired and that helps. I just wanted to let you know how loving they can be. They are more of a companion than a dog. Cracker right now is being petted and Captain is napping on my lap. Good luck to you!
Cheryl
:irn: :irn:
Birdmum
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27 am

Welcome to the forum, Cheryl! Please tell us a bit more about Crackers and Captain - how old are they? Has Crackers being DNA'd a female? If they are a male and a female, have they mate-bonded?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions