Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Intrduction

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Intrduction

Postby Caz » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Hi. My name is Caz. I’ve always been mad about birds. Have now taken on a 5 year old green Amazonian. This was only 3 days ago. I’m smitten! Her previous owner really loved her but did not give her the best care. Never been to a vet and no training. Poor eating habits. I’m determined to give her the best possible life. I have quite a few challenges to face. Training a bird that is not a baby and getting her to eat well. I’d really appreciate your support. Thanks. Xx
Caz
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Amazonian green
Flight: Yes

Re: Intrduction

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am

Hi, Caz and new feathered friend [what is her name and how do you know it's a 'she'?] Of course we will help you! That's what we are here for -as well as to learn from one another. But, my dear, there is no such species as a 'Green Amazonian' so why don't you post a picture of her and we will tell you exactly what her species is.

As to her diet, amazons are excellent eaters so I don't foresee any problems in your switching her to a good diet - which I strongly recommend you do ASAP as amazons are VERY prone to fatty liver disease [caused by a diet too high in protein and fat] so free-feeding them any protein food [seeds, nuts, pellets, nutriberries, avicakes, etc] is real bad for them [aside from fatty liver, they end up with too high cholesterol -cardiovascular problems-, too high uric acid -kidney problems- and fatty tumors and xanthomas]. I have four of them right now, three Yellow Napes and one Yellow Crown, and even though all of them came to me from somebody else and all of them were seed junkies, they now eat a fresh food diet with a large range of produce so it's just a matter of offering the right thing at the right time and presented just right [which sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? :lol: but it really isn't].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Intrduction

Postby liz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:32 am

Many of our members including me have lost weight because they had to add more fruit and veggie to their birds diet.

There are foods that the Amazons will not try but Myrtle will get on my shoulder and demand her share of what I have even if it is something I already gave her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Introductions