Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Finally Joined!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Finally Joined!

Postby Laronce » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Hello there everyone! After lurking on these forums for a few months, I've finally made an account.

I've been doing as much research as I can before getting a new family member hopefully this June, and I'll have plenty of questions in the mean time to make sure I know what I'm doing!

Okay, now I should introduce myself, I believe. Sorry if it gets long!

My name is Kay, I'm a college student who still lives with her parents in the snowy New England area. I have a cat and two Guinea Pigs, the latter of which has always been my responsibility to take care of. Years ago, we had a pretty blue Budgie that I aptly named Birdie, (I was little!) and she was happy with us for many years.

Now my heart calls me back to having a bird. My aunt, a proud owner of a Senegal for over 10 years, has gifted me a cage that her bird didn't like. It seems big enough to fit any one of the small parrot types; Cocktiel, Senegal, Conure, etc. I'm planning on going to a parrot rescue because I've read from here and elsewhere it's the best way to get a bird. So here's to hoping it all works out. :)

Thank you for your time and I hope to see you around!
-Laronce
Laronce
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Finally Joined!

Postby Navre » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:31 am

We have 60 birds at http://www.riparrots.org

We have a little flock of four budgies, a beautiful pair of Indian ring necks. I’d love to give you a tour and show you our birds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:45 am

Hi, Kay, welcome to the forum and thank you so very much not only for doing research before you get your bird but also [and, most especially] for adopting instead of buying a baby!

We would be proud and happy to give as much help as we are able - and do take up John's [Navre] offer! Not all rescues are good but his definitely is!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Laronce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:56 am

Navre wrote:We have 60 birds at http://www.riparrots.org

We have a little flock of four budgies, a beautiful pair of Indian ring necks. I’d love to give you a tour and show you our birds.

Thank you very much.
Though I think you might be too far from where I am, moreso for the birds than us. I'm sure a parrot wouldn't enjoy a few hours-long drive. But either way I'll be sure to check it out.
Laronce
Parakeet

Postby Laronce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 am

Pajarita wrote:Hi, Kay, welcome to the forum and thank you so very much not only for doing research before you get your bird but also [and, most especially] for adopting instead of buying a baby!

We would be proud and happy to give as much help as we are able - and do take up John's [Navre] offer! Not all rescues are good but his definitely is!

Thank you! People adopt cats and dogs, it's very surprising bird adoption isn't more well-known. I actually didn't know about it until I started doing research, which I find quite sad, honestly.

I trust they are! I've seen posts about the place here before. Though I may have to find somewhere closer if the trip is too long for a parrot, I know us humans will make the ride down for them, but I don't want to put that much extra stress on the poor birds themselves.
Laronce
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:43 am

Well, I tell you, I've done rescue for dogs, cats and birds and, believe it or not, there is still people who think they NEED to get a puppy or kitten or the animal will not bond with them! And it has taken years and years and years of pushing and pushing for people to start realizing that this is NOT true - and it's the same thing with parrots. Lots of people still think they need to get a baby or the bird will not love them - not realizing that, on top of this absolutely not being true, it's actually harder and much more problematic to get a baby than to get an adult bird! All my birds, with the exception of the recently added two baby budgies that I got in CL not realizing they were babies, came from somebody else and they are all WONDERFUL companions!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:56 am

Laronce wrote:
Navre wrote:We have 60 birds at http://www.riparrots.org

Thank you very much.
Though I think you might be too far from where I am, moreso for the birds than us. I'm sure a parrot wouldn't enjoy a few hours-long drive. But either way I'll be sure to check it out.

We routinely adopt to MA, CT, RI, and southern NH. We have adopted to all the New England States. The travel is usually worse on the people. The birds only have to make the trip once!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Laronce » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Navre wrote:We routinely adopt to MA, CT, RI, and southern NH. We have adopted to all the New England States. The travel is usually worse on the people. The birds only have to make the trip once!

Okay, thank you for the information! I'll discuss it with the family tonight, they'd be driving. :D

Pajarita wrote:Well, I tell you, I've done rescue for dogs, cats and birds and, believe it or not, there is still people who think they NEED to get a puppy or kitten or the animal will not bond with them! And it has taken years and years and years of pushing and pushing for people to start realizing that this is NOT true - and it's the same thing with parrots. Lots of people still think they need to get a baby or the bird will not love them - not realizing that, on top of this absolutely not being true, it's actually harder and much more problematic to get a baby than to get an adult bird! All my birds, with the exception of the recently added two baby budgies that I got in CL not realizing they were babies, came from somebody else and they are all WONDERFUL companions!

And it's the love and patience you give them, too. I think people want babies because they'll be "easy" and do what they want. Anything older will be "set in its ways" and "won't listen".

We got my current cat from the shelter when he was 1 1/2 years old. (I can say we were looking for a cat a little older, though. It's harder for them to get homes.) That young but he'd already been through 3 homes because no want wanted to put up with his tendency to break everything you own. Now it's been two years since we got him and he's a sweetie.

Animals aren't "just pets" they're a part of the family. It's sad people don't know that. But I guess that's why there's people like you in this world to take care of 30 birds at once!
Laronce
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:41 am

But that is, precisely, where they are wrong! Baby parrots are very pliant when they are babies BUT, if you don't know what you are doing [and NOBODY knows what they are doing when they first get a bird! NOBODY!!!!], you end up with a real problem adult bird on your hands! But if, on the other hand, you get yourself an adult bird that likes you [there can be, without a doubt, an immediate chemistry between a parrot and a human and that's why they always say 'Don't choose the bird, let the bird choose you'] half the battle has been won already! Parrots are given up the most when they are between 2 and 8 years old and this is because, usually, at two, the parrot goes through puberty, becoming more self-assured and reacting to incorrect handling - and, from 5 to 8 is when the larger species become completely frustrated [parrots are actually VERY patient animals when it comes to bad care] both sexually and emotionally. Ergo, getting an adult parrot that likes you and making sure in advance that you know how to properly care for them AND, most importantly, that you have the lifestyle for it and you will continue with the same exact lifestyle for years and years to come [because, once you have a parrot, your entire life revolves around its needs] is the best recipe for success.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Introductions