Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Goffin Cockatoo needs a good home.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Goffin Cockatoo needs a good home.

Postby kailea » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:02 pm

I am looking for a good home for my 30 year old goffin cockatoo, Kailea. Kailea is really sweet and loving; loves to be rubbed, never bites and has a great sense of humor with many laughs. My mother passed away two years ago and I wanted to be here for Kailea during the grieving / transition process. I adore this bird, and it breaks my heart to post this note but . . . . . Kailea is lonely much of the time and I want to travel.
I feel that Kailea would love a parrot friend as a part of the new home.
P.S. I live in Northwest WA.
4nancybell@gmail.com :cockatoo:
kailea
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: No

Re: Goffin Cockatoo needs a good home.

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 am

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry you have to rehome your and your mother's bird! But, if the bird is alone for hours and hours, you are doing the right thing. Please make sure the bird goes to a home where there are people there during the day because, although I firmly believe that no parrot should be by itself, sometimes, it doesn't quite work and they don't 'make friends' with the other parrot so they need a human there for them all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby kailea » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Thank you Pajarita. I am new to this "forum" world so if you have any suggestions, they are more then welcome. Have you ever been the one finding a new home for a parrot?
kailea
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 am

Yes, several times. I ran a bird rescue for 6 years while I lived in Pennsylvania and, although I did not adopt out a lot of them, the ones I did rehome all ended up in good homes. The reason why I did not find homes for many of them is that, in all honesty, it's so very hard to find a home where a parrot would actually thrive. Parrots are just too difficult to keep healthy and happy... They need a fresh food diet [organic preferably], company all the time, hours and hours of out-of-cage time and flight time and, depending on the species, almost as many of one-on-one. They also need to be kept at a strict solar schedule -which is impossible for anybody who works outside the house for more than 4 hours. Then you have to take into consideration if the person has enough financial resources [avian vets are not cheap], if they live in an apartment or a home [loud species can't be kept in an apartment], if they have a 'stable' lifestyle, and this is much more complicated than it sounds because, usually, young people are always 'changing': they get a significant other, a spouse, children, new job, etc., and many older people who are in a good financial situation want to travel... I recently rehomed a sun conure to a neighbor and she is not only doing great, it did not take me any time at all because it was one of those opportunities that kind of fall on your lap. But, before that, I rehomed a Timneh gray and it took me months and months and months of looking and screening A LOT of people [I don't charge a penny for them and I even offer to supply them with gloop for as long as they need it so, of course, there are lots and lots of people who reply to my ads but the greatest majority of them have truly no business having one].

I wish I could help you and take her myself because I actually want to get my male cockatoo a female [I always try to get all my birds a companion of their own species or a similar one because it enriches their life as nothing else can] and, at her age, she needs somebody with a bit of knowledge of the right diet and supplements but I recently took in two new birds [a black capped caique I flew to Miami to pick up and a quaker I drove to Maryland for] and, although they are adjusting marvelously [THANKFULLY!!!!], I am spreading myself a bit thin trying to spend time with both of them as well as the 'older' birds that are still very attached to me and get jealous of the new birds -actually, there is only one bird that does that, Zoey, my female Senegal, who is super independent by now but, every time there is a new bird, decides to perch on me all the time so as to prevent my bonding with the new birds. I am used to it because I've had her for several years and know 'her tricks' very well but I have to be on constant alert all the time and it takes a balancing act on my part. To give you an idea, right now, as I am typing this, I have Zoey on my right shoulder, the new quaker is on my left shoulder, Isis Redbelly is on my left knee and Javi -the new caique- is on the kitchen island [where I have my laptop] playing with a ball made out of scrunched up paper that I have to roll at him every few seconds or otherwise keep entertained - see what I mean? :lol:

I would say that you need to look for somebody who lives in a house and has a bit of experience on cockatoos [everybody wants them but few people realize how difficult, loud and destructive they can be] and who is there during the day, has a stable relationship [lonely people all want parrots but it's more to 'fill the empty hole' than because of love of birds and as soon as they get somebody, they forget all about the parrot] no young children or the prospect of having any and who doesn't travel much at all even though he/she has the money for it. Not easy... I prefer older people to young ones because they are more 'settled' in their ways and that's always a plus for parrots.

If you are on the West Coast, we have a member who has a small rescue in her home [the ideal situation for parrots that need to go to a rescue because it's more like a foster home than a rescue] and specializes in cockatoos who might have 'room'. She hasn't been on the forum for a while but if you contact me via pm and let me know where you are located, I might be able to help you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Tia_of_Chaos » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:00 pm

I'm sorry to hear you need to rehome your little girl, I wish I were closer I'd love to be able to give her a forever home. We lost our goffin 10 years ago and have thought about getting another one, preferably a rescue or rehome as we don't really encourage breeders. But I hope you'll find a good loving home for her and she'll be happy with her new flock
Tia_of_Chaos
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Front Amazon

Return to Introductions