Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Re-homing Sweet Green Cheek - Georgia

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re-homing Sweet Green Cheek - Georgia

Postby EmilyP » Sat May 05, 2018 10:34 am

I am looking for an experienced bird lover to take my green cheek named Harry. Right now I have three pets and a baby. Harry is VERY intelligent and needs more attention. He can talk. He says "I love you" and " Hey Harry". This was through repetition and no formal training. He will not use the restroom while sitting on your finger. He lightly bites when he needs to go back to his cage to use the restroom. If he's not on your finger all bets are off. With more training, he could probably be completely potty trained. He likes head scratches, sweet potato, and banana. He does bite strangers, but cuddles with familiar people. He loves nibbling on fingernails. If you are interested, please respond with a description of your experience with birds and your current flock. I will post photos soon. I am hoping someone with an interest in bird training will take him.
EmilyP
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek
Flight: Yes

Re: Re-homing Sweet Green Cheek - Georgia

Postby Michael » Sat May 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Are you asking for advice on how to rehome your bird or soliciting adopters?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby EmilyP » Sun May 06, 2018 7:59 am

I am looking to find someone to adopt him and checking on this site. I am not in a rush. He is doing well with me, but I am just checking to see if there is a better owner out there that would take Harry out of his cage longer than I do and spend more time with him. I forgot to mention Harry is 3 years old.
EmilyP
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 am

Hi, Emily, welcome to the forum and thank you for realizing that he needs more attention than you can give him! Your situation is very, very common... People see GCCs small and cute and think that they will be easier than larger parrots but, in reality, this is not true. They need A LOT of attention and more hours of one-on-one and out-of-cage than other species. Please make sure that the person who adopts him does not work outside the house and that he/she is aware that these little birds cannot be free-fed protein food and need company all day long.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby EmilyP » Sun May 06, 2018 10:55 am

Thank you for the advice Pajarita! You really hit the nail on the head. I do want to make sure I can find an owner who understands green cheeks are just as complex and engaging as larger birds. He really is like a big parrot in a little tiny body. The challenge will be to resist giving him to someone else who also does not have enough time. He doesn't have any behavior problems and he is often content playing with his toys, but I can tell he is lonely and wants more interaction. I am going to reach out to my local companion bird social club also to check for potential new owners.
EmilyP
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 07, 2018 8:32 am

I'll tell you what I look for when I need to rehome a bird:
-middle age [not too young because their lives are still not quite settled and not too old because old people tend to be too rigid in their beliefs and would not do enough research]
- households where children are grown [children take up way too much energy and time and tend to be self-absorbed and raucous]
- caregiver who does not work more than 4 hours outside the house
- people who would not clip
- people who would feed a fresh food diet
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions