Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I’m new here and I am getting an African grey

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

I’m new here and I am getting an African grey

Postby Lil » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 am

Would love to have any kind of advise offered, I never had an African grey. Thank you
Lil
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: No

Re: I’m new here and I am getting an African grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 am

Welcome to the forum! As to advice... well, it's pretty much the same advice for any companion parrot species: strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk, good natural and full spectrum light in the room where it's kept, adequate housing, fresh food, organic diet without free-feeding protein food, no clipping, etc. The only difference between gray husbandry and other species is that grays are much more high-strung than the rest of the species so they require a quiet household and NO changes whatsoever in their daily routine as well as a deeper bond with their chosen human. To make a long story short, they are one of the 'difficult' ones to keep happy and healthy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions