Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to fourms and Parrot ownership

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: New to fourms and Parrot ownership

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 am

BBT wrote:Thanks! Another trip to Whole Foods will be happening asap.

Whole Foods is great but a bit too expensive for me and, in truth, I can find almost everything I need to be organic in my regular supermarket.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby BBT » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:22 am

Hi there Parrot lovers, this is Petey here and I thought I would give an update on myself. I have now been in my new home almost 2 months and I am almost a 1/2 year old now. Aside from learning to type and post in forums, I have really progressed in my new home. My flock now has 3 budgies and 2 canaries and 1 human that loves me to death (figuratively chirping). I have found I love being on my humans shoulders but I feel it is important to always step down when asked, which I always do cuz I want to be a good bird! I get to come out of my cage almost any time I want to. My absolute favorite thing in the whole world is about an hour before bedtime (when the sun goes down) I like to perch on my humans finger as he cups me with his other hand. I like to sit there and feel the warmth of his hand very loosely around me and I grind my beak intensely! I cant help it, I am just so happy during this last hour of my day. I lightly flutter my wings and grind my beak and make soft little noises to promote being told how good of a bird I am. I have been learning to fly to my humans hand when he calls me. All and all, life is good. I am still a bit scared of new things and places, but my human understands I am just a baby bird... so.. yeah!

Anyway, this is my update and thank goodness for spellcheck, cuz… well I'm just a 5 month old bird... so ...yeah --chirp chirp :danicing:

p.s. my human actually helped me with this post, cus… well the lack of fingers thingy :thumbsup:
BBT
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Canary, Budgie, and Parrotlet
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 am

:lol: Yes, the lack of fingers is an issue but they are so good with their beaks that I don't doubt they could learn to type. Great news and good job! :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby BBT » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:27 pm

An update at a little over 6 months old. He can talk! His first words was "Big Bird" He is a perfect little bird, no bad behaviors at all but he does like to tear up his toys. Well' upon reflection, the only bad behavior is that he is very jealous of my giving any other bird any "hands on" attention.
BBT
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Canary, Budgie, and Parrotlet
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:12 am

Yes, all parrots have the ability to talk although it's not common in aviary species with the exception of budgies, a species where males are hard-wired to learn a new 'language' in order to woo the females (because different populations would have different 'dialects' and the males need to 'speak their language' in order to get a female to choose him :D ). And yes, again, the jealousy is typical of lovebirds (actually, of all parrots) but this will decrease until it stops as he becomes older, starting with puberty, and when it does, you will have to be VERY careful because he will try to escape to go looking for a mate (only lone lovebirds try to escape, mated ones don't as long as they are allowed to go through the motions of breeding -which doesn't mean procreating, mind you!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Introductions