Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help needed

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Help needed

Postby Doogar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:17 am

Hi everyone I have a lot of questions for you all I will start off by saying I don't own a bird yet I am doing as much reasurch first but find a lot of conflicting info so thought I'd try here the birds i am most interested in is Amazon's or African greys I have owned birds in the past when I was a kid budgies and cockatiels unfortunately I was forced to give them up as parents were allergic to them now I find my self in a better position with a loving home of my own and financial stability to care for such a bird and have more maturity as am in my 30s now i dont have kids so all my time will be spent with it I want to do this right and be responsible I have decided on a large cage of 4ft x 3ft x 5ft with natural branches for perches a diet of 80% fruits and veg and 20% seeds and pellet but no sunflower only as treats is this correct I want to make my own foraging toys too I do worry that as I work am gone for about 7 hours a day would this be a problem is there a way i can help make this time enjoyable i.e leaving TV on or something like that I am aware no-one really knows what its like to own one untill they do but knowledge helps many thanks
Doogar
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Help needed

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 am

Hi, Doogar! Welcome to the forum and thank you so much for taking the time to do research before you make a decision. Now, if you are gone 7 hours every day, I am afraid that neither species will work for you. Amazons get terribly hormonal if you don't keep them at a strict solar schedule [which you would not be able to do in the winter] and Grays do not do well at all when left alone for hours and hours [they tend to pluck] as they are very high-strung birds that need constant company. Amazons are better than way [more independent] but an overly hormonal zon is a mean bird...

As to the diet, amazons and grays have completely different requirements in terms of protein and fat so you can't really decide on a good diet until you decide which species you want.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Doogar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:01 pm

I'm that case would a Senegal be more accommodating due to the time I'm away at work
Doogar
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 am

Hmmm. I am afraid that it doesn't quite work like that... ALL birds are photoperiodic [meaning they need to be kept at a strict solar schedule and a proper diet or they become overly-hormonal], it doesn't matter if they are small or large.

And don't think that senegals cannot be as or even more aggressive than an amazon because this is not true. I have taken in lots and lots of parrots of different species and many of them had aggression issues [it is one of the main reasons people give them up after a while] so I have dealt with attacking/biting birds from macaws all the way down to the smallest species and, by far, the most aggressive bird I've ever had was a male senegal. It took 3.5 years for that bird to stop attacking me every single chance he got, every single day... He is the ONLY bird I've ever had that made me dread going into the birdroom and the only bird I have actually feared.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions