Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello!

Postby Frankie’sMommy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi! I am new here and new having a parrot. He’s a GCC named Frankie!
He is 5 months old and there are times were I am so scared that some thing
Will happen to him... I do have a TON of questions!! I would put a
picture but I don’t know how lol!!
Frankie’sMommy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: One GCC
Flight: No

Re: Hello!

Postby liz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:27 am

Welcome to the forum.

We are pleased that you joined the forum.

What is his light schedule?
What do you feed him in the morning?
What do you feed him at night?
How much together time do you give him?
How much just out of cage time do you give him?
How old is he?
How long have you had him?
And anything else you can tell us.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:12 am

Welcome to the forum, Frankie and mom! Go ahead and ask as many questions as you like and, for posting a picture, I use photobucket.com.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Frankie’sMommy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:41 pm

liz wrote:Welcome to the forum.

We are pleased that you joined the forum.

What is his light schedule?
What do you feed him in the morning?
What do you feed him at night?
How much together time do you give him?
How much just out of cage time do you give him?
How old is he?
How long have you had him?
And anything else you can tell us.

He is 5 months old and I have had him since he was 2 months.
We go for walks in the sun in the afternoons.
He’s always out of the cage with me except when I am cleaning.
My vet didn’t say to feed him like that. I have food
in his dish. Being 5 months he gets hungry a lot.
He has imprinted on me. Just learned to distract him from chewing
on my nails. Going to start doing a nap time and set him
a bed time and work on potty training... he Loves water!
Frankie’sMommy
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:41 am

Potty training may cause other problems.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:16 am

Oh, my dear, please think twice and then again once more before you even attempt to potty train a bird - especially one as little as a GCC! The fact of the matter is that although it can be done, it's really very bad for them because their metabolism is so fast that they need to poop very often and holding it causes all kinds of problems, including cloacal prolapse which requires a very expensive surgery to correct [one of our members bird had that problem and he was a big cockatoo]. Birds are not dogs, my dear, they are not supposed to be housebroken...

As to his diet, you did not really say what he is eating but a baby GCC should get two kinds of soft food served warn and fresh twice a day as well as raw produce. You say he eats a lot but if what he is eating a lot of are pellets or seeds, it's not really healthy for him [you do know that GCCs are mostly fruit eaters, right?]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Frankie’sMommy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:52 pm

I won’t potty train him. Thank you for the heads up. He is eating the pellets, the maker
of nutri berries. My vet said to stop the seeds because they are real high in fat.
Sorry about that. I also put a vitamin powder on his pellets. She also recommended
vitamin E oil for his beak so it doesn’t dry out and crack.
Frankie’sMommy
Parrotlet

Postby Frankie’sMommy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:59 pm

No no, he doesn’t eat all day. I have him out of his cage all day.
He’s 5 months. I’ll talk to my vet again about his diet. He loves his strawberries
and cherries that I get him. He has his breakfast and then he’s out of his cage with me then in his cage in the evening for his dinner. I wasn’t going to train him like a dog
btw just to go on a towel. I am not that dumb.
Frankie’sMommy
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:27 am

Thank you so much for reconsidering potty training! I cannot even begin to tell you how big a relief it is to me that you did. I know he is not my bird but I love all birds, my own, other people's, the wild ones, all of them - and I worry when people are misinformed about their needs or capabilities. Now, I would suggest you do your own research on his diet because avian vets do not study parrot nutrition at all - and I do mean AT ALL! I have three avian medicine and surgery text books, the same kind the avian vets use to pass the exam that gives them the board certification and there is no parrot nutrition anything anywhere on them. There is a VERY small and vague chapter on avian nutrition but, when you take into consideration that there are birds which eat meat, birds which eat fish, birds that eat seeds, birds that eat nectar, birds that eat insects and birds that eat everything, it makes sense because if the text book actually covered every single avian dietary ecology, it would look like the English Encyclopedia set :lol: And I will share something with you, the fact that avian vets who have not had multiple parrots for years give advice on diet is a beef of mine with them because I really do not think that anybody who has no knowledge of a subject as important as diet is to an undomesticated animal should be giving their uninformed opinion on it. And I will tell you one more thing, 2 of my avian vets [they both kept multiple parrots of their own] told me that they recommended pellets not because they thought it was the best dietary option for parrots but because it was the lesser evil compared to an all seed diet. But I happen to think that bird keepers deserve the benefit of the doubt and should be taught to feed their birds the right kind of food - and, to a GCC this means low protein [pellets are too high], high moisture [pellets are WAAAAAYYY too dry], low fat [this is OK in pellets] and high fiber [not OK in pellets because they don't use the right kind of fiber -there is a study done with African Grays].

Seeds are fine for parrots. It's what they eat in the wild. BUT you can't free or over feed them and they need to be the right kind of seed. For a GCC, one tablespoon of budgie seed for dinner is perfect with gloop [or mash or chop] and raw produce [with emphasis on large portions of fruit] for breakfast and all day eating. The gloop provides the high fiber and high moisture, the raw produce provides the phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals and the budgie seed mix is low protein and low fat.

Now, if you choose not to change his diet, it's your decision but, please, reconsider giving him extra vitamins/minerals on top of the pellets which are already fortified with them because too much is as bad as too little and, in fact, it kills them faster.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Frankie’sMommy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:14 pm

I definitely am going to contact my vet about adding that stuff you mentioned to his pellets. They have Omega 3 and 6
Frankie’sMommy
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Introductions