Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Help!

Postby littletog » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:16 pm

Hey Parrot people. I have an issue and need your help.

I live in Brooklyn, NY. It is Thanksgiving here in the states so nobody is around. I mean NOBODY.

This is an unbelievable story, but trust me this is not fake news.

We heard a tap on the glass in our kitchen this morning, and when we went to check it out there was a parrot. My wife stepped outside to see if it was OK, and it flew into our kitchen.

This came exactly 48 hours after we put our 13-year-old dog to sleep.

So we put the parrot in the dog's cage and there it is. A friend tells us it's a Quaker Parrot. It's very friendly and highly socialized.

We posted signs in the neighborhood, facebooked and tweeted (stop giggling), but since it's a holiday nobody has responded. Alas, we still have a parrot in a cage and we are leaving town for 3 days starting tomorrow.

I am reading on this website about the problems of leaving your parrot for more than 24-48 hours, but THIS IS NOT OUR PARROT (apologies for yelling).

Can we leave the parrot in the crate for 3 days?
What should we feed it?
Should we just let it just fly back outside in the 25-degree (F) weather?

Help!!! Please somebody tell me what to do with this unwelcome (albeit friendly) guest.

Thank you,
littletog
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker (?)
Flight: Yes

Re: Help!

Postby liz » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:22 am

Welcome to the forum.

Other members will respond soon.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:14 am

Sheesh, I am soooo sorry I couldn't make it here yesterday but the answer to the question is no, you cannot leave any animal alone for more than a few hours.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:08 am

The parrot is not bonded to you. It has been out in the wild for who knows how long. My suggestion is to leave it in the cage in a window with produce that does not wilt and three cups of parrot food with plenty of water. Turn a radio on or leave the TV on. The radio would be the best since it is music and that calms them.
The only other solution is to take it to a rescue. But it sound like you want to keep it if you cannot find the owner.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Introductions