Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Shilden's introducing himself

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Shilden's introducing himself

Postby Shilden_72 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:39 am

Hello everyone!

I'm joining you as a recent parrot owner, but as a lifelong bird owner. I've always had doves at home and rescued a pigeon one year and a half ago, but two weeks ago, my wife and I went to the pet store to find a new bird that she'd choose herself. She fell in love with a little Quaker parrot, and now here I am, trying to get used to our new little friend as much as she's getting used to us! (And to her roommates; the cohabitation isn't easy now, we're trying to make it better)

If this helps, I live in Russia although I'm originally from Belgium, our birds spend most of the time flying around in our house (we put them in a large cage for the night, or when we open the doors for a long amount of time.) Sure, we have to pick up their mess, but hey, at least they fly around and don't have health issues because of the cage.

I hope that I'll be able to give our new friend a pleasant life, because my doves and pigeon sure do like their way of life!

Have a nice day, and see you on the forums.
Shilden_72
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Quaker Parrot, 1 ring-necked dove, 1 street pigeon
Flight: Yes

Re: Shilden's introducing himself

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:29 am

Hi, Shilden, quaker, doves and pigeon [you did not tell us their names :( ] and welcome to the forum.

A quaker! How wonderful! I love quakers! But I hope that you live in a part of Russia that has a good natural solar schedule because quakers are from a temperate climate and extremely sensitive to photoperiodism so they need to follow a STRICT solar schedule or they become hormonal and aggressive [especially the females as this is a matriarchal species].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Shilden_72 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am

Oh, I'm sorry! The Quaker is called Molniya (lightning), the dove Strela (arrow) and the pigeon Soyuz (Union, but here it's a reference to a space station module).

Fortunately enough, I live in the south of the country; we're pretty much on the same latitude as the Côte d'Azur in France! There's no shortage of sunshine and warmth in summer, and we have installed a sun lamp to provide our birds with summer-like light in winter (because no matter how far south we are, we still have 2 to 3 months of snow in winter). I hope that our Molniya needs "just" light and not UV rays as well!
Shilden_72
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Quaker Parrot, 1 ring-necked dove, 1 street pigeon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Thank you for the names, I love them! Unfortunately, ALL birds need UV, even the nocturnal ones. And, again, unfortunately for us and our birds, full spectrum lights do not provide enough UV for them to use it to produce their own vit D3 although they do provide enough UVA so they can see better so, please, do not forget to supplement them with D3 [and don't count on 'fortified' seeds to do it, either because they don't work].

I love ALL birds, all types, the ones I have, the ones everybody else has and the ones out in the wild - I feed a flock of pigeons [but there are other species, too -like sparrows, mourning doves, starlings, etc] every morning and, as they wait for me perching on the roof of my house, the neighbors call it 'the pigeon house' and I am 'the bird lady' :lol: But of all my loves, quakers hold a very special place in my heart because I grew up with them as I was born and raised in one of the South American countries where they originate AND I have a blue mutation female name Keku which, according to my husband, is 'spoiled rotten' :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Introductions