Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First timer

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: First timer

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:19 am

Yes, indeed! Liz's little flock is a perfect example of happy, healthy birdies that have the best of both worlds, meaning they have their own little flock and a human to love.

I suggest you adopt one first, allow a couple of months for the bird to get used to you and another couple of months to start bonding with you and then adopt another adult of the opposite gender and, during quarantine -when you would have to keep them separate- start bonding with it so, by the time they are together -there is a bit of process here as itś not just a matter of sticking the second bird in the first one's cage- they both know you separately.

GCCs for all their cuteness and small size are actually not good first birds because they are VERY needy and people are usually unable or unwilling to have a bird on them all the time.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby IAmEagerToLearn » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:44 am

How long would the quarantine period be? And would I need to have two separate cages for the pair? Should I adopt them in a pair or one by one? What are some things I should start doing when bonding with the parrot?
Irrelevant question, but what do you do with your parrots on holiday events or birthdays? I'm just curious.
Also I hope to form a good bond with my parrot no matter which parrot I get.
IAmEagerToLearn
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:25 am

The length of the quarantine period depends on several things BUT for a newbie, I would recommend 6 weeks UNLESS you get a pair that is already bonded - and yes, you do need two cages at the beginning if you get them separately. Once the quarantine is over and they bond with each other (super easy with cockatiels because they all like all other tiels), you should put them together in a large flight cage so, if you are going to get them separately, what I would do is get a nice, large flight cage for the first one and an used, smaller cage for the second one -which I would keep because you always need a second, smaller cage in case one of them gets sick or you need to take one to the vet.

The first thing you need to do to establish a good, long lasting bond with a parrot is to leave it alone for the first few days. Clean the cage, put fresh food and water in it and without looking straight at it (staring is something that only predators do), spend as much time in the same room with them, talking, singing, whistling. But one of the most important things you can do to reassure the bird (or birds) is to establish a daily routine that never changes because this does not only make them trust you, it also eases the stress of captivity in general and of going to a new home in particular. There are other steps that will follow but we can cover those later.

As to what I do with my birds during holidays or vacations... well, it's VERY rare that I change their routine so even during the holidays, their schedule is pretty much the same it is every single day of their lives. My family is used to my being a maniac when it comes to my animals and they have adjusted. For example, we celebrate Christmas Eve instead of Christmas day and our traditional way of doing this is to have a large family dinner late at night (starting at 10 pm), to toast and wish everybody Merry Christmas right at 12 midnight and then open the presents BUT, because I am restricted by my animals schedule, we have changed it to an early dinner so we start after 3 pm so I can give the birds their dinner before I leave and come back around 8 pm so I can feed my cats and dogs almost at the same time they eat it every night (usually at 7 pm). As to vacations, l hardly ever go on vacations and, when I do, my husband stays behind to care for them so although I am not here, their days are still the same as if I was (my husband and I have not had a vacation together in like 15 years because of the birds). Caring the right way for parrots is VERY hard because they cannot adjust to a human normal lifestyle so it falls to us to make the sacrifices...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Introductions