Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi I'm Heidi and live with Petra a 20 year old African Gray

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi I'm Heidi and live with Petra a 20 year old African Gray

Postby Heidi S » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:45 pm

Petra has free flight of the house and she's lived with us for 20 years. In the past 2 years she's started on our wooden door trim and floorboard. I just had that replaced with painted PVC trim which she chewed up before I finished paying for the installation. I'm now looking for metal options but not having much luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks! Heidi
Heidi S
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi I'm Heidi and live with Petra a 20 year old African Gray

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:23 am

Hi, Heidi and Petra (LOVE the name!!!) and welcome to the forum. She sounds overly hormonal (they are short day breeders) so, please, re-evaluate her light schedule and diet because, although they do chew, they mostly do it during breeding season -which is the ONLY time mine go to ground (the rest of the time, she is always up high, perching on the platforms hanging from the ceiling). My Sophie (she is 19) also likes to 'nest' on the ground, in a corner of the room, usually the one that has the radiator, so what I do is give her a nice, large, stiff (thick) cardboard box which I replace with a new one whenever it gets all chewed up (she also likes to scratch the floor). BUT, when she has eggs in it, I just put the new one on top of the old one so as not to disturb the 'nest' (I am against breeding parrots for the pet trade but I think it's necessary for them to go through all the natural seasons in order to be happy so I not only allow but encourage breeding behaviors). Please don't use PVC, it's dangerous for them to swallow and although they usually don't (meaning, the simply chew a piece and spit it out), with parrots, one never knows...

Oh, the other thing that I do is have untreated wood boards all around the perimeter of the room covering the base board and around the windows and doors to protect the moldings - because they will chew no matter what we do so it's better (for me, at least) if they chew an easily replaceable and cheap piece of wood than an actual molding.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions