Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Looking to add a bird to the family

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Looking to add a bird to the family

Postby Coco.stew » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:02 am

Hello.
I’m looking to get a bird. I’m wondering if anybody could give some helpful advice.
Doing my research and I’m wondering what bird would be a good fit.
I’m a single mom to a 3 year old boy and we have a cat. We also have dogs that visit regularly. My son is pretty chill and our house relatively quiet.
I have experience with conures, cockatiels and citron cockatoos. I’m very grounded and home a lot. I work from home some days and would like to bring the bird to the office.
Everybody loves their parrots and I’m overwhelmed with the species and what would be a good fit. I’m considering another green cheek, Senegal or rescuing a larger bird. There is a great local breeder who sells gcc, Senegal’s, parrotlets and caiques. I’m up for the commitment but am concerned about the happiness of the bird and my sons interaction.
I own my home and rent out the apartment upstairs.

Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you!!
Coco.stew
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: No birds. Wanting to get one
Flight: Yes

!

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Please do not go to a breeder! For one thing, there is no such thing as 'a great breeder'... there isn't even a 'good breeder' because to a breeder, a bird is merchandise and the important thing is the bottom line. And, yes, I am afraid that generalizing works for this because nobody who actually loves parrots and knows about them would ever breed them for the pet trade (who would bring more birds into a market that is already over-saturated? And, even if this wasn't the case, who would produce and sell animals that you know for a fact will never have a good life?! It takes a very cold heart to do such a thing!) There is a huge (and I do mean HUGE) overpopulation problem with parrots. Rescues are all above capacity and this happens within a couple of years of opening because so many people give parrots up after a while - everybody thinks they have the right stuff, that they can provide a good life for them and that they will stay the course after years and years and years but, in reality, there are VERY few people who are actually willing and able to do it because it requires not only a very stable situation, it also requires no lifestyle changes for 10, 20, 30 years or more and how many people can actually do that?! If you decide to get a parrot, please adopt one. It's the right thing to do. And, aside from that, taking into consideration you have such a young child, you would be much better off with an adult bird than with a baby. It's not easy raising two little babies at the same time for years and years (parrots require the same level of care as a young child but they never outgrow it) and the bird will become jealous of your child -parrots are not family pets, they are one person pets and, although there are exceptions to the rule, it doesn't go by species but by individuals, their humans and the situation so the 'what you see is what you get' with an adult bird goes a long way toward ensuring the bird will be the right fit (babies are a lottery).

What happened to the birds that you have experience with? Would you be able to keep the bird(s) at a strict solar schedule even though you work outside the house? How many hours a day will the bird be all alone in the home? Is your spouse, if you have one, in agreement with bringing a parrot into the house? These are all questions which replies would make a difference in the bird you bring...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions