Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Florida member seeking help

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New Florida member seeking help

Postby speedyg » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:56 pm

:budgie:

Hi! I've owned 4 budgies as a child. Had one in particular (my first) that really stood out. I fully tamed him. He was friendly to all, even strangers. Feisty and would attack our cat. Curious, energetic and playful. I want another bird like that now as an adult but am struggling to find breeders so I thought I would join here to talk to people. I am also curious about other species but in all my research am leaning towards budgies again.
speedyg
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: New Florida member seeking help

Postby IAmEagerToLearn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:44 pm

If you are looking for more fast answers I would recommend going to this forum as well: http://www.parrotforums.com/forums.php
They are very helpful and they helped me. I hope that can be of use to you.
Hopefully you get your answer on here as well. :)
IAmEagerToLearn
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: New Florida member seeking help

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am

Hi, Speedy and welcome to the forum! Budgies are wonderful little birds! I call them 'flying jewels' because of their beauty and brilliant colors. I currently have seven of them, all rescues, of course, as I don't believe in buying babies from breeders so I would wholeheartedly recommend you adopt too. Budgies are truly very underappreciated. It must be that they are little and cheap but their intelligence and beauty really does not deserve anything but the highest regards. My husband, who is not really a parrot person, loves them to pieces and refers to them as 'the pretty ones' :D

Now, although taming them is entirely doable, the truth of the matter is that they are intensely flock-oriented so they normally don't really enjoy a life as a pet. The only ones that talk are the males and, for that, you have to raise it and keep it in isolation - a terribly sad fate for a highly social little bird that wants nothing more in life than to live with other budgies. So, although it is doable, it's not something that I recommend because, to me, their wellbeing and happiness comes first.

But, if you have your mind set on it, adopt a young one (I found two 3 to 4 months old ones in CL), make sure it's a male (remember that baby budgies cere color is the opposite of when they are adults) and tame it, first. Once he is 8 months old, get him a female friend so you can have what you want: a little pet bird - and he can live a more fullfilling life with a mate.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions