Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New here! also a few questions.

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New here! also a few questions.

Postby Dakota » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and parrots in general.
I have a 7-month-old green parakeet named Mikasa. :budgie: she's a very strange bird,
I've had her for around a month. and she isn't super friendly, but she seems to go thru phases, more recently, she will be a bit stubborn when I go to get her out of her cage, but is content to sit on my shoulder, until we get downstairs to the kitchen, then she will fly off my finger/shoulder, and go walk around, but fairly quickly she will get really scared, and will jump up onto my hand if I come near her. this is probably normal, except she just does it over and over. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!
Dakota
Dakota
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet
Flight: No

Re: New here! also a few questions.

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Welcome to the forum! Her behavior is perfectly normal and it will increase as she gets older. She is a budgie, she is not only not a companion bird but also extremely flighty. It's the way they are. Parrots species are all different, some are friendlier, some are more bitey, some talk better than others, etc. etc. Budgies happen to be aviary birds that are extremely flighty and that's why she flies back and forth. If you want a bird that will stay on your shoulder, you should get a GCC BUT make sure that you have hours and hours and hours of free time every single day that you can spend with the bird for the next 30 years or so because they are extremely needy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions