Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Genderless Lovebird

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Genderless Lovebird

Postby stacydaisy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the group but have had my male parakeet for 3 years and my male cockatiel for 2 years. I recently got my little lovebird in December and have no clue if he is a boy or a girl. He (assumably) has recently started mimicking or saying peekaboo and so my question is, are lovebirds more common to mimmick if males like parakeets and cockatiels? Both of my other birds talk and are very vocal and I know within their species it is rare for a female to actually talk. Is this so with lovebirds or is this just wishful thinking? Gender doesn't matter with this little one, he's amazing, it would just be nice to know. Thanks in advance!
stacydaisy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, cockatiel, and lovebird.
Flight: Yes

Re: Genderless Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:46 am

Welcome to the forum! I really do not know if lovies are the same as budgies in that only males actually learn to talk... they are completely different from tiels or budgies in that these two species are flock oriented while lovies are pair-oriented and the females are the dominant gender so I doubt they are the same.

I don't mean to make you feel bad but would you consider giving your poor lone birds mates? They are so much happier and healthier when they have them... Nature never meant for a parrot to be all alone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions