Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New GCC TODAY - couple questions

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New GCC TODAY - couple questions

Postby Pertalote » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Hi. My new bird is about 6-8 weeks old. I brought him home today. He is exploring his cage seems happy enough.
One question I have is: I have his cage in the kitchen. The weather is very hot right now. I know I can't set a fan blowing toward the bird, but is he sensitive to every little stirring of the air? I would like to run a fan not blowing at him.
Second question: How long should I wait before I try to handle him? I realize that to him I am sort of a stranger, I am giving him his space and leaving him be. At the bird store he would step up but I didn't get to visit him as often as I should have. I don't want to rush him but I don't want him to forget what he knows. Appreciate any advice.
Pertalote
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheeked conure
Flight: No

Re: New GCC TODAY - couple questions

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby!

Now, I am sorry but you are going to have to find another place for its cage you can NOT put it in the kitchen. Kitchens are no-no for birds unless you do not use them EVER for cooking. A bit of a warm draft is not going to kill a bird but it is not advisable to have it blowing on it all the time, either (try the kind of fan that rotates).

You NEED to handle it because you have to handfeed it. I know you were told that it is weaned but it is not (they just say that so you would buy it and they can then move more merchandise -these people regard animals as merchandise because no bird lover would ever sell a baby) and a bird that is weaned too early will have issues with its food intake for the rest of its life so, please, get yourself some formula and a feeding syringe (you can also use a baby spoon) and feed it twice a day until it rejects it. You also need to offer it soft food (things like oatmeal, pastina, polenta, etc mixed with baby food or a small grain gloop) served warm and fresh twice a day. Also, you can put small seeds in its cage now but, as soon as he starts rejecting the handfeeding, you need to serve them only for dinner because GCCs require a low protein diet (no free-feeding pellets, seeds, nuts, nutriberries, avicakes, etc).

There are two more requirements with GCCs: strict solar schedule and many hours of one-on-one (at least, 6 a day) because they are as needy as cockatoos when it comes to company.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions