Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatoo aggressive biting

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Cockatoo aggressive biting

Postby Paco1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:45 pm

I’m a new cockatoo owner, I need advice with aggressive behavior from our new member of the family please? :cockatoo:
Paco1
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, previously owned a green wing macaw and a yellow nape amazon
Flight: No

Re: Cockatoo aggressive biting

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:58 am

Hi, Paco and feathered friend (or is Paco the too's name?), welcome to the forum. I am afraid that just saying the bird bites is not anywhere near enough because there are many reasons and circumstances under which a parrot could bite. We need more information... like how long have you had the bird? How old is it? Diet (current and prior if bird is a rehome)? Light schedule (again, current and prior)? And when does the bird bite and who does he bite? Meaning, does he go out of his way to bite or does he bite only when asked to do something or when given an opportunity (like when somebody offers food and he bites the fingers instead of taking the food - that kind of thing)? Parrots are not naturally aggressive and they only bite when they are overly hormonal and in chronic pain, when they perceive there is no other choice for them to get their point accross, when they have been physically abused or when they have been taught to do it by humans so the information I asked for will tell us what is going on in his head or body -or a good guestimate of it- and how to correct it. Basically, you need to know what the problem is in order to correct it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions