Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pellets

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Pellets

Postby Dooley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:41 am

Hi can anyone help?my african grey has been on a seed diet since ive had her ,shes nearly 1 year old,ive done a lot of research there is so much to think about,but if she has pellets aswell as some seed and fresh fruit & veg,when do i give the pellets?morning or evenings?
Dooley
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: No

Re: Pellets

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 am

Welcome to the forum! If she is only one, she is still a juvenile and, although it would have been a million times better if she had weaned to a good diet, she is still young enough to make not to difficult to switch. Now, this goes with a caveat - and it is that, in my personal experience, grays are the hardest species to convince of trying something new. All the grays I've had under my care were VERY picky eaters. But, having said that, it doesn't mean it cannot be done because they all did end up eating a much better diet - not as good as any amazon or conure but a good one all together considering.

I don't feed pellets because, after over 25 years of research into parrots natural diets, I have reached the conclusion that they are not and never will be the best dietary option but I can tell you that I feed protein food for dinner only -and pellets are protein food. If you feed protein food for breakfast, you might never be able to get her on a good diet because birds are hungriest in the morning and this is the best time to get them to try healthy food so I feed gloop and raw produce for breakfast and all day picking and protein food (nuts/seeds or just seeds depending on the species - my gray eats mostly nuts and just a teeny tiny amount of seed for dinner).

The best way to get them to eat good food is to take away the leftover protein food at night, after they are asleep, and at dawn, give them the raw produce and eat it with them. I know that eating raw produce at dawn is not something that we, humans, appreciate (I draw the line at raw green beans :lol:) but parrots learn to what to eat from watching their parents or other flock mates and, as they are imprinted to humans and learn to trust their caregiver, this is the best method. Start with something you won't mind so much like apples and raw carrots, for example and work your way up from there. But don't try to fool her by pretending to eat because she is too smart for it. Ahh, one more thing, my gray LOVES juicy fruits and veggies - loves oranges, red grapefruit, pommelos, all kinds of melons, grapes, blackberries, grape tomatoes, etc.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Dooley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:42 am

Oh right ok thanks ,its hard when you watch youtube videos and read about a good diet,thanks for your help..
Dooley
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:07 pm

PLEASE do not use a youtube video to learn anything about parrots. The greatest majority of people who put videos about parrots there do not know enough about them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions