Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Missing Senegal Parrot

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Missing Senegal Parrot

Postby Peanut7 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Hi, I'm new here. My fully flighted senegal accidentally got out aug.15th. I could have gotten her back, but a chicken hawk came out of nowhere and chased her into the trees. I thought it got her, but she was definitely spotted once as someone posted her picture on the county lost and found pets site the next night. Unfortunately by the time I got there she had already flown away.

So now I got another lead where her picture was posted at the humane society yesterday. Unfortunately I'm in central Florida with Hurricane Dorian and cant get through to them because of the storm. This bird looks exactly like her except for the claws and the eye area looks almost distressed. Like she is sick. My Senegal has gray claws, however. Not pinkish white.

So my question is to anyone who may know, does this parrot look distressed and is it normal for their claws to look like that? Or could that be caused from dehydration and the trauma of being out in the wild for three weeks? This is the picture they put up on their website and it looks like her other than the color of the claws. just trying to figure out if its really her, sure looks like her. Thanks so much.

Peanut7
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Missing Senegal Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:32 am

Welcome to the forum and I am soooo sorry you lost your bird! That happened to me twice and I know how incredibly distressing that is (I found all three birds that got out - two had flown out when a branch broke a window in the birdroom during a storm and the third got out only a couple of weeks after I had adopted her and all three stayed by the house although it was not easy to spot them).

No, skin on their legs and feet do not change color when they are dehydrated. As a matter of fact, it's very difficult to determine if a bird is dehydrated or not because there are no clear external signs of it (as there are with mammals). But i would still contact them because colors are not true in all pictures and her feet could be greyish when looked from the front with good light.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Missing Senegal Parrot

Postby Peanut7 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Thank you.
Peanut7
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Return to Introductions