Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: New member

Postby Petfriends » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:04 am

I wanted to give you an update on Kenya :) I think she is a lot happier eating this gloop. She was throwing her bowl for a couple days , but now she is eating it just fine. My question is.. should I continue to keep fresh pellets for her? Thank you so much .. Kenya doesn’t seem as plucky. She’s growing more feathers , but she usually lets them grow long and then plucks them out. She has one tail feather so far and I’m hoping she keeps it . I’m home with her all day long. So she has all the attention.
:)
Thank you
Petfriends

African grey parrot Kenya

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGGEWF ... cGetEcyiqg
Petfriends
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey Congo
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:56 am

I don't think that pellets are actually that good for birds for many reasons (I've done extensive research on this subject) but, if you want to continue feeding them, use them for her dinner. Don't just leave them in her cage all day long or she will not eat enough raw produce - and she needs it because it's the ONLY food that has phytonutrients (enzymes, flavonoids, etc). Pellets are dead food - and that's why the manufacturers add things that birds that eat a good diet would not need - like probiotics, vit A and vit B12.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Petfriends » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:11 am

Okay .. I’m taking the pellets out of her cage and I’ll toss a couple in for dinner until we finish the bag. I won’t buy anymore pellets :) my husband thinks I’m crazy and that Kenya will never grow her feathers again.. lol but I’m not giving up on her. I am striving to prove him wrong and show him that her diet means a lot. I’ve always tried to do my best and I will keep doing it .
Thank you for your help It means a lot to Kenya and I
I love her so much
Thank you
Thank you
Petfriends

African grey parrot Kenya

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGGEWF ... cGetEcyiqg
Petfriends
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey Congo
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 am

I think you made the right decision but remember that you will need to provide a multivitamin/mineral supplement. Now, how often you give it depends on what the parrot is actually eating. My birds eat a very good diet with a large range of veggies and fruits so I only give them the supplement two (winter) or three (spring, summer) times a week for whatever I might be missing and the vit D3.

And tell your husband that I once took in a gray that was practically catatonic and completely plucked (and I am talking feathers only on her head!) and that, although she did not completely stop plucking, she ended up with just one single naked small spot on the left side of her chest - which, taking into consideration the way she looked and for how long she had lived plucking was fabulous! And she not only ended up moving around and flying, she even stepped up and gave kisses. So, yes, they do stop or, at the very least, improve greatly with good care and love.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Introductions