Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi

Postby lovebirdlover » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:15 pm

well im new to this and i dont know much about birds but i am looking into getting one because my friend has a lovebird pair that soon should have hatchlings and she said if i wanted one she already has a cage and everything for me. i think they are blackmasked lovebirds the blue ones and i just wanted to know what should i do first before i get it and what tricks i should teach it. I watch kili the parrot do awsome tricks and flight recalls and today i just saw the new parrot video truman. And finnaly what should i name it i have some ideas but it has to be a unisex name because u cant tell the difference of a boy or a girl i know im getting ahead of myself but im just so excited because it's my first bird

bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi

Postby tacotaco » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Anthony,
Welcome to the forum. I think this is a good place to start with research and questions but I would also recommend buying a book about parrots, or one specifically about lovebirds. I have not had much interaction with lovebirds but I can say they're beautiful.
It is important to prepare for your bird. It is nice to have a cage ready as you said your friend has for you. You will have to research what kind of food is best for them and read about what kind of foods birds cannot have (such as avocados, onions, chocolate, etc) It is important to introduce your new bird to it's new home (and to yourself) in a polite manner so that it is comfortable with you and it's living situation. It seems that you will plan to have your bird flighted, please be sure you read about keeping the bird safe (no windows/doors open, etc)
As for the name, I think it's easier to pick one after the first few days you have it. Once you have an interaction with it I think a name will come to you quickly :)
Good luck to you.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Re: Hi

Postby lovebirdlover » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:11 pm

thank you very much for your help
bluemaskedlovebirds
lovebirdlover
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird

Return to Introductions