Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Postby Lynda » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:24 pm

My name is Lynda and I just purchased my only bird, an 18 year old red factor Congo African Grey. She was with the same family all her 18 years until I got her. I've had her just under one month. We bonded very quickly. She has started nesting activity on the bottom of her cage. I'm wondering what, if anything, I need to do to keep her safe and comfortable.
Lynda
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: CAG female, 18 years old.
Flight: No

Re: New member

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:57 am

Hi, Lynda, welcome to the forum and thank you so much for adopting instead of buying a baby! Now, I don't know what her light schedule and diet has been in all her 18 years but, unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere, she should not be in breeding condition this time of the year or trying to nest. Grays are short day breeders and nest at the end of the fall and the beginning of the Northern Hemisphere winter season so something is not quite right. BUT, if you give her the right diet and keep her at a strict solar schedule with full exposure (do two hours for the next 6 months) to dawn and dusk, she will get her endocrine system back on track (please remember that a screwed up endocrine system does not only affect breeding behaviors but also many other things -like depressing their immune system, a VERY dangerous thing). Please do NOT allow your vet to give her Lupron or anything similar to stop this behavior (I can explain why I say this, if you would like).

Aside from that, just give her a nice, large, thick cardboard box at the bottom of her cage and keep a supply handy because she will scratch the bottom until she makes a huge hole in it and will need another one when this happens.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions