Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby green cheek

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Baby green cheek

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:53 am

Great! And mix the lentils and quinoa with baby food from jars (try to go for more yellow/orange and blue than anything else - they are the most nutritious). And, if you feed it -say, blueberries- you will see the blue -almost black- poop about two hours after you feed it or he eats it on its own. It is, most likely, eating more on its own and becoming more active and that's why it's eating less formula - but continue to offer it at dawn and dusk, at least.

BTW, you are going to make a GREAT bird keeper! I can tell from the way you worry and how willing you are to learn and make changes to what you are doing.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby isa » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:47 pm

I got a scale. I weighed sprite. Weaning sprite is driving me crazy i dont know if something is going wrong sprite went from just going down to 8ml to feeding to like 5 ml or less but seems to be fussing and always just wants to be on me and isnt really eating that much on its own. I think sprite has definitely lost weight and i worry its not eating enough of anything formula or food.

Is it sick is it going to eat more tomorrow is it starving overnight i dont know whats going on ive tried to offer food so maby times today formula and food. Sprites been very active today flying all over it can fly now. It flies out onto me flew onto my girlfriend it is capable of flying about five feet or more. Everything is happening quickly and i hope this is just the bird weaning and tomorrow it will eat more ill feed it formula 5 times a day if it wants just want it to eat enough
isa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
Flight: No

Postby isa » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:49 pm

Thanks for all your help!!!
isa
Parrotlet

Postby isa » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:51 pm

At 11 pm or 12 pm ill try to see if it will eat another syringe of formula if not in the morning it reliably eats
isa
Parrotlet

Postby isa » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:37 am

Sprite succumbed to hunger and ate what i would say between seed and formula was a decent sized meal to hold it over around 7ml of formula and i saw him munching as well for a good period of time. At 6am i plan on feeding formula bc sprite always wants it then and then offering quinoa and lentils mixed with some apple bannana baby food i actually had lying around hopefully it will eat the healthy food tomorrow but for now im just happy to get the calories in....
isa
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:13 am

I find I worry more over baby animals that I had over human babies... Yes, parrots are crepuscular feeders and are 'programmed' to eat at dawn and dusk so the baby will be hungrier and more willing to eat at those times (always leave the artificial lights off at these times because their bodies react to twilight).

If he is so active, he is eating. Check the morning bomb (BIG wet poop they do a few minutes after they wake up) and see if looks good in terms of size -should be much bigger than one would expect a little bird to produce). But, for what you are telling me, I think he is eating of the food you are offering it as well as a bit of formula - so it should be OK.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby isa » Sat May 02, 2020 10:07 pm

My baby sprite is losing alot of weight i dont know what to do. I think its time for a trip to the vet? I can def feel the keel bone but sprite just doesnt take alot of formula other than at night. The regularity for now has been 2 or 3 cc in the morning, 4 or 5 at 1 or 2 pm, 5 or 6 cc at night between 7 and 10 pm. The babies weight went from 68 or 9 without any food in crop to like 63.5 today. Thats over 4 days i believe. I dont know what to do the vet i called said they are only taking sick animals not doing wellness checks is my bird sick or in danger or just weaning?
isa
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 03, 2020 8:58 am

OK, as long as you don't see any other symptom like lethargy, sleeping too much during the day (like right after breakfast, for example), fluffing up, discharge from anywhere, vomiting, diarrhea or too much urine, weakness in flight, etc. don't worry too much because it's pretty common for babies to lose a bit of weight once they start weaning in earnest and flying more. Are you making the formula thicker? Because they do not like the liquidy kind they get when they are tiny babies as they grow up. Try making it thicker, using a larger syringe or a spoon and make sure it's nice and warm. Again, check the amount of poop. There should be a very large poop early in the morning and lots of little poops during the day (they usually poop a lot in the morning, kind of stop at noon, and poop less often in the pm). Check the way it looks and smells. Healthy poop for a baby is more 'liquidy' than adults but there should be distinct feces after the first morning one. And it should not smell -when it does and it's sour, it means a fungal infection. Smell his beak, does it smell sour? Do you see him eating gloop or whatever soft food you are using? Are you keeping him at a solar schedule and feeding him at dawn and dusk? These are the times that he has been 'programmed' to eat as diurnal parrots are crepuscular feeders.

Try giving it some white rice, millet and white bread (these are all fattening). Put some aloe vera juice (not gel and not from the whole leaf, only juice from the inner filet) and some organic apple cider vinegar with the mother in his water (do 3/4 water -use good one, not from the tap- 1/4 aloe vera juice and one tsp of vinegar in a pint of water). These will help if he has sour crop or some sort of yeast infection somewhere in his digestive tract.

You can also get some wide spectrum antibiotic and give him a week of it. If he has an infection, it will take care of it but antibiotics also fatten them (that's why meat producers used to use them all the time in the animals for slaughter). Try this: https://allbirdproducts.com/collections ... vet-liquid
It's a good wide spectrum and very well accepted by birds, easy to get the right dosage (see the instructions below) and causes no stress to the bird because you put it in the water. You take out the 'old' water at night when the bird is already asleep and, at dawn (and this HAS to be done at dawn!), put out the fresh medicated water. You will see the bird drinking a more or less pre-determined number of sips - and these sips will amount to the right dosage.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby isa » Sun May 03, 2020 9:11 am

thank you! poop is still looking good to me as of this morning no more weight loss for now. weighed 64 grams again. broad spectrum might be a good idea who knows what sprite could have had in the breeders. thanks for the reply
isa
Parrotlet

Postby isa » Sun May 03, 2020 9:15 am

thanks for helping me out with sprite im so grateful
isa
Parrotlet