Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Member Introduction

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

New Member Introduction

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 am

Hi, my name is Brian I and I am new to this forum. I have never owned a parrot before, but I have done a lot of extensive research on them. I have loved parrots ever since I was 10 I picked up a BirdTalk magazine from my school library ever since then I have been nothing, but crazy about them.
My first experience with a parrot was with a cockatiel at a local pet store. That was probably one of my favorite memories. Even though it wasn't particularly a good memory lol. The woman who worked at the pet store was trying to get it to perch on my finger. I think I wasn't holding my finger still so the cockatiel was trying to grab on to my finger and I thought it was trying to bite me. I've been to a exotic bird store before named Omar's this also made a really positive influence on me. There was a green checked conure who climbed on to my arm and sat on my shoulder. I always wanted a parrot and plan to get one when I am independent.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: I don't own any birds currently.
Flight: No

Re: New Member Introduction

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:05 am

Welcome to the forum, Brian. You will find that we are all fascinated by parrots and that, most of us, suffer from a condition called MBS (Multiple Bird Syndrome :lol: ). Please let us know if we can help in any way. The ONLY thing I would ask of you is to seriously consider adopting a bird instead of buying a baby - there is a HUGE overpopulation problem in USA and, because parrots are very attractive to people but SUPER difficult to keep healthy and happy, a lot of them end up in rescues or being put for adoption through other ways without a fault of their own.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:17 am

I am very well aware of this I read I articles by the World Parrot Trust. There is an overabundance of parrots in the USA and yet still a demand for wild-caught birds. I am considering adoption because I know parrots live for a long time and that would mean a lot of parrots in rescues without a home for every person that chooses to buy instead. What I think is worst is "throw away birds" I live in California we have feral parrots most of them being amazons and conures. They were probably all wild-caught since birds born and raised in captivity wouldn't do so well in the wild. One very interesting species of amazon we have is endangered the Red-Crowned Amazon.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:38 am

Yes, we all follow the news on the feral colonies established in USA. Thankfully, some of the ex pets survived and managed to breed - hence the flocks we now have.

Thank you so much for thinking of adopting - when you are ready, look in Mickaboo (http://www.mickaboo.org/), it's a great rescue, I have a friend who fosters for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby banuvatt » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:28 pm

Thank you, for sharing that link with me!! The only reason I don't like the feral parrots being here. Is sometimes people will shoot, and be cruel to them because they think they are a nuisance. Since well parrots especially amazons and conures make very loud calls. Not only that, but people will also poach their nest especially those of the red-crowned amazon, and sell their chicks on Craiglist.
In an ideal world, I'd rather capture all these feral parrots and reintroduce them back to their native habitat. Of course, that would be useless unless the trade of wild-caught birds is prohibited. Not only that but, they are reintroduced into protected land, for instance, a reserve that is constantly monitored to prevent poaching.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:25 pm

Well, actually, wild-caughts are not allowed to be imported into USA since 1992 when they passed the Wild Bird Conservation Act (unless you get a special permit/waiver like for a zoo or something like that) but you are 100% correct that bad people are always trapping or stealing babies from the nests for profit...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:38 pm

While it is still possible that pet birds could be illegally imported to the USA. I am aware the biggest promoters of the illegal cage bird trade(Not to mention illegal wildlife trade in general) are China and the UAE. America and Europe have at least made efforts to protect animals that are traded. The African grey and the Scarlet macaw are listed under CITIES. While the Scarlet macaw is still listed as least concerned, the northern subspecies of it which is native to Mexico and Central America is listed as locally endangered in a large portion of it's habitat. Which is better compared to the African grey which is locally extinct in some areas. Its remaining range is now limited to only the Heart of Africa, or otherwise known as the Congo.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:33 am

Yes, China and the UAE are bad but so are lots of other countries because they are the providers to the demand: Thailand, Indonesia, South Africa, etc. are terrible when it comes to poaching, trafficking and laundering wild-caughts… India is pretty bad in poaching, too. And don't get me started on the issue of trophy hunting! Despicable!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby banuvatt » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:32 am

South Africa I think is one of the main consumers when it comes to the poaching of African Greys besides China, and the UAE. Indonesia I know is bad with poaching in general, but with parrots specifically especially cockatoos such as the citron crested cockatoo, umbrella cockatoo, and the Moluccan cockatoo also Eclectus parrots. (I am aware of their infamous smuggling techniques which include stuffing birds in pipes and bottles.) The article I read on the illegal bird trade says that it is generally speaking domestic, not international. I know in the case of the Moluccan cockatoo domestic trade is a threat as opposed to the African grey which is threatened by international trade. Since you brought up India I think Alexandrine, Lord Derby parakeets are threatened by domestic trade. Indian ring-necked parakeets are still least concerned which is no surprise since there are so many of them. Not only that, but feral populations to add to that from England to New Jersey. I am surprised that Plum-headed parakeets are still listed as least concerned I thought I heard of something about them being heavily traded. In other places as in Mexico, Central, and South America generally speaking the larger birds(macaws and amazons for instance) are threatened by international trade while the smaller sized birds(parrotlets and parakeets) is domestic.
banuvatt
Cockatiel

Return to Introductions