Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi all...newbie here

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi all...newbie here

Postby Altaira99 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:26 am

I am fostering a red-fronted macaw that I've known for years. My sister-in-law got him as a chick, my daughter was her roommate and also has a strong bond with the bird. He knows me, but not as well. He has lived in a museum with a small zoo for the past ten years or so. He's 22. The museum is closing, so he's coming to live with me for at least a couple months. I'm concerned about getting him accustomed to me and providing him with enough enrichment. He's had constant attention from the zookeepers for months. I'm going to start very very slow and hope I don't get bitten. He's a nice bird, but he'll be stressed. Any tips you can give me will be appreciated.
Altaira99
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red-fronted Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Hi all...newbie here

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:47 am

Hi, Altaira and welcome to the forum. Thank you for taking in the poor thing but I am a bit confused. So he lived with your SIL and your daughter for, what? 12 years - then was given to a zoo and because the zoo is now closing, you are taking care of it until a new home is found? I am surprised a zoo gave one of its animals to a private home instead of sending it to another zoo... Not that I approve of pet birds ending up in zoos because that is not the best place for them. Pet parrots are imprinted to humans and need to belong to one human who needs to be there for them all the time so, in reality, by giving him to you to foster until a permanent home is found was the best thing that could have happened to him.

He will come around - they all do. All my birds are rehomes, some of them came to me older than he is and they all bonded to me. Parrots are very smart and, when they get what they need in terms of care (both physical and emotional), they come around very quickly and do not want to go back to a lesser situation.

Let us know if you need any advice.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Introductions