Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi from Cape Town, South Africa

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi from Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Andrew » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi everyone,

I have two year old Senegal's one male and female. I hope you can can provide me with some help and advice.

The two little angels have been living together in the same cage since day one and have recently started fighting with the male attacking the female at random times. They don't fight all day but have a real good go at each other. The male tends to stalk the female or "chase" her around the cage.

I think the issue is the cage has become very small for them with all the toys :D would getting a bigger cage help?

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots
Congo Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi from Cape Town, South Africa

Postby Mona » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Hi Andrew:

Welcome to the Forum! I am sure that you will have valuable insight to add to the conversations.

To your question, I don't know but I do not cage my Senegals together. I see my male/female squabble quite a bit. I do let them interact together twice a day outside of the cage. This way, if the squabble gets out of hand, one flies away. They both tend to make up frequently but I am afraid they would hurt each other if caged together.

I think you really want to be sure you have some sort of an escape mechanism if they are squabbling. Senegals can do real harm to each other. You might chat with a breeder and get their take on this as well. I don't intend to breed mine. My philosophy has pretty much been that being able to fly away from each other was really important for their safety. I caged my cockatiels together but I am afraid to do that with my senegals.

Thanks!

Mona
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Andrew » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi Mona,

Thanks for the advice, I don't intend to breed them. When I got them from the breeder they had been in the cage together for a few days, so I guess being young at the time didn't bother them.

They don't seem to be hurting each other I check them often for injuries just in case, I'm going to try getting a bigger cage for them. It will break my heart to see them split up into separate cages :(
Andrew
Parakeet

Congo Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Andrew wrote:It will break my heart to see them split up into separate cages :(

Perhaps you should have considered this prior to buying and caging two together.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Andrew » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 pm

Michael wrote:
Andrew wrote:It will break my heart to see them split up into separate cages :(

Perhaps you should have considered this prior to buying and caging two together.

When I got them from the breeder they were already living together, I had hoped they would be good companions for each other. Like I said I'm going to try the bigger cage and if that fails I'll have no choice but to split them up :(
Andrew
Parakeet

Congo Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 pm

I don't see why splitting them should be a problem if you let them spend time together when they are out. Your profile says they are flighted... then they can CHOOSE if they want to fly to each other or away from each other. In a cage they are confined and stuck together without choice.

Also are they brother/sister? Because that could cause rivalry and non-mating competition rather than courting.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Andrew » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Nah they are not brother and sister, they are from two separate breeding pairs. You make a very valid point with regards to them being able to decide what to do when they are out of the cage. Nonetheless I'll have to get another cage so may as well make it nice and big :D

I also saw your post on wanting to get an African Grey, I've been thinking about getting one a while now. When do you plan on getting the bird?
Andrew
Parakeet

Congo Grey

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:14 pm

I'm on the verge of putting a deposit on a Timneh. I think it hatched a week ago... so in the upcoming weeks I will be making a decision.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:16 pm

In my opinion you should definitely house the senegals in separate cages. Don't feel sad about splitting them up... they will be able to play with each other all of the time when they are out and they really do need their own space (territory). Also, keep the cages close to each other and they can still talk to each other. Splitting them should also strengthen the bond they have with you. Housed together they will either bond with each other and become less friendly towards you, or the male may end up killing the female. Male senegals who are imprinted on humans are known for their aggressiveness towards females. Hope this helps!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Andrew » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 am

Thanks for the advice, perhaps I will put them both in the larger cage and see how they get on. If they still have their little squabbles I will separate them and see how they get on.
Andrew
Parakeet

Congo Grey

Return to Introductions