Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi from Dubai

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi from Dubai

Postby Steve_why » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:13 am

My name is Steve and I am a musician, come sales and marketing manager for a production company, here in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Just a few days ago, a lovely healthy looking African Grey Parrot, flew into my home, on the 5th floor.

I am a real animal lover, but have never had an African Grey as a pet...and from the last couple of days I have been looking for the owner but no sign of them. So I have decided to keep the little angel and hope I will do my best be make him feel as comfortable as possible.

I am open to suggestions and help, but just a few questions.

1 ) How long can it stay alone. I go to work in the morning and come back at 6pm, would that be ok?
I change his food and water in the night before I sleep and again when I come home.

2 ) I am so afraid of touching him, in case he is in a bad mood and bits me...can anyone help me
with that?

3 ) He is in a medium size cage, its is okie for him to be in it, or am i required to keep him out?
His cage does have an opening on the top and am planning of keeping it open when I am at
home.

4 ) I have learnt that the AG has a lot of nuts, almonds, peanuts etc...and fruits such as Banana,
water melons, apples ( Without the seed ), is there anything else I can feed it, apart from the
regular bird food that I purchased at the local store. The regular food has all the Vitamins and
proteins in it, but I thought I would give it a little more.

5 ) The Parrot talks, but only when no one is looking at it...its too cute...craves for attention but
does not talk when I am talking to it...It says words like Hello, Wake up and some other words
I can understand right now.

I know I have too many question, please I would really appreciate some help and I am new to this and don't want the poor guy to be sad.

So, i look forward to anyone's help....

Thank you so much for your time..

Regards

Steve
Steve_why
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi from Dubai

Postby Komodeno » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:19 am

Hi Steve,
I'm also living in Dubai and have an African Gray.
On your first question: It is ok for him to stay home alone but you need to provide him with toys to destroy and also a foraging toys to keep him busy. When you come home will be good for both of you to have some times together and allow him to play out of his cage. The change of water is ok you need to make sure the water is clean and if you put for him fresh water before you leave the house and after you come home that should be ok. There is other option - you can go to Pet Zone in Sheikh Zayed road and buy a water bottle - cost 105 AED Lixit (buy the one for larger parrot). This will keep the water fresh all the day and you don't need to worry about it. You need to make the switch slowly so he hill learn that the bottle is where his water is. You will need to monitor him for sometime to make sure he is drinking from the bottle. I have tree parrots and they all have water bottles. I like it because keeps the water clean and there is no mess.
On your second question: You need to get over your fear and approach him slowly. You will watch him for signs of aggression. If he is calm and not afraid of you just see if he will come on to your hand. If you prefer you may wear a garden glove - but the glove may scared him. if he comes on to your hand try scratching his head. You will definitely know if he wants a scratch - he will bring his head down. take it easy and slowly.
My African gray is very gentle and do not really bite often. Only if he is stressed and scared.
Question 3 : How big is this medium size cage? The simple thing is to count at least 2 stretch of his wings. I( have mine in a corner cage which is a meter and a half high and about meter wide and 60-70 cm deep. mine have a play top and he is usually playing there when out.
You can go to Satwa pet market and see the cages there. They are much cheaper then the one in the pet shops and they have really nice once. Make sure they are safe for birds and have no rust on them.
In this subject you will need a various perches for him not the wooden dowels that comes with the cage. There is different ones in the market and will be good for him if you can give him more options for perching.
Take it easy some African Gray are afraid from new things and you need to make him see the new Items before putting it in to his cage. Let him get familiar and then place it in.
Question 4: Food - as you are most of the day out I will suggest you buying for him pellets - in the market you will find Harrison (organic pellets, this is the best one but the most costly one) Then you will see also Zupreem and Kathee. I feed all tree of them because Harrison only will add up in to my budget (I have 3 birds and they are all medium to large)
You can give the natural one because the colored once have a lot of sugar. I give some of them but not in big quantities.
Then you can buy also some parrot mix seed and dry fruits and nuts. Kathee have a nice one or there is one with a Blue and Gold Macaw on the packet which is very good and have a lot of dry fruits inside. I do not remember the name but this is what I use. I also buy walnuts, hazelnuts and some seeds and mix them up. You can buy also cashew nuts but not roasted. Give him the nuts with the hard shells he will enjoy it.
The fresh fruits and veggies you can give for dinned when you come home. You can give him a mixed veggies - the frozen ones from the supermarket. You can make them warm. My parrots enjoy also spaghetti and rice. Some mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. They can eat almost all veggies and fruits.
Never give him avocado, onion and chocolate.
When you are cooking don't use Teflon. You may kill him.
Question 5 Give him time. Even mine sometimes speak when no one is watching him. He need to settle down in your house and get use to you and the new environment. he will open up.
I will also advise you to go to Nad Al Sheeba vet clinic and get him checked. call them for appointment and the basic check up is about 175 AED. If you walk in will be much more expensive. The vet visit is necessary to make sure he is ok and healthy. He may carry viruses.
Komodeno
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray
Macaw
Goffin Cockatoo

Postby Wacca » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:25 am

I am sorry because I am interrupting this topic, but my husband and I are searching for one african gray parrot to buy, in Dubai or Abu Dhabi... We have in our home country beautiful green cheek conure, but he stayed with my parents to make them company and now we want one african gray to give him good home. So, please, if you have advice where to buy it would be nice to hear it from you.
Wacca
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Komodeno » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:53 am

Hi Wacca,
I got mine from Satwa pet market in Dubai. He was a baby around 2 months old and I hand feed him for about month or two.
You can buy them in the pet stores too but they will charge you much more. I got mine for 2000 AED and in the pet shops they are at least 5-7000 AED.
You can also go to Sharjah pet market and they have there a lot of birds.
Here in Dubai you will not fined a breeder so that is only your options. The birds are usually imported from South Africa. Make sure the shop will give you documents for the birds because they are protected.
After the purchase take tour parrot to an avian vet - Nad Al Sheba is a very good one and run the necessary test especially beak and feather disease.Here is a big thing, a lot of birds are carriers.
Komodeno
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Gray
Macaw
Goffin Cockatoo

Postby mrron » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 am

Steve

My name is Ron......I lost my Grey a few weeks ago......there have been articles in Gulf news
and 7 days regarding Wallace

Maybe you could give me a call 050 4273900

Meanwhile....check him out on You tube Wallace the lost parrot

regards

Ron Baxter
mrron
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Sami » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:33 am

Hi,
Can anyone tell me which pet store is bringing the birds in from South Africa?
I am moving to Dubai in 3 months, but everyone is telling me that there is a ban and no birds can enter from South Africa.
I am hoping to get in touch with someone that imports birds and see if they can somehow help me. Or tell me how they are getting the birds to Dubai etc :)

Any help is appreciated
Sami
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: African grey

Postby liz » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:57 am

What are the odds that so many off you are in one place?

Don't be afraid of him. If you show fear he will bite you. Touch his feet and beak first. What you are doing sounds good. If he will be out of cage after work the cage will do for a while but give him things to do in there.

Call the other person in Dubai and ask the parrots name. If he responds to the name it could be his parrot. If not - he is yours and have fun playing with him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby liz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Steve - what is going on with your bird?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Hana diaa » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:16 am

FROM DUBAI : I NEED HELP WITH TAMING MY TWO COCKATIELS URGENTLY!!!!!!! :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel:
Hana diaa
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:45 am

Welcome, Hana and tiels! Can you tell us a bit more about them? Gender, age, diet, light schedule, how long you've had them and what, exactly do you mean by 'taming' them? Do they bite you?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Introductions