Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hello from SC

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

hello from SC

Postby Ashleighdale » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm a Parakeet Parent to two of the most wonderful little Parakeets! Charlie :budgie2: and Jack :budgie2: . How I ended up with Charlie and Jack is a little heartbreaking and my journey with them has not been the easiest. However, I wouldn't trade these last seven months for anything! My fiance bought me a little blue parakeet and named him Joop. He was the best companion i could ask for! I was home alone alot at the time and Joop went everywhere with me! He stayed on my shoulder! When ever i would go on trips Joop would sit on the rear view mirror in my car. I realize how unsafe this was and Of course he had his travel cage but he loved to sit up there and just chatter and I didn't have the heart to keep him in his cage for a three hour trip. Even at home I let him roam free because he always stayed right with me.I guess I got used to him being out and i grew lax because all it took was for me to walk outside for a few minutes and Joop got into something he shouldn't have and died. My fiance bought me a new blue parakeet, this time a little girl. I named her LiLo. I missed my Joop still but LiLo helped. But she was so different! She was a very difficult little bird to deal with. It took months to get her warmed up and comfortable. And she was a biter!!! Joop was nothing like that! Eventually i got her socialized and she was a sweet little thing She still bit on occasion but she did it in a more playful manner..Soon I was taking her everywhere with me. Then I got married. While I was on my honeymoon, she stayed with my parents and she got out.They searched and even put up posters with a description and offering a reward. But no one ever did find my sweet LiLo. However it seems some good did come of this. A lady saw the poster and called my parents. She happened to have to little blue parakeets. Her children no longer cared for the birds and she was trying to find a good home for them. My parents took the birds and even though they could never replace LiLo or Joop, I loved them instantly. Jack looks exactly like Joop, charlie looks exactly like LiLo. Crazy as it sounds, I felt like I had my babies back! It was tough at first, jack and Charlie(also referred to as MY BOYS) were wary of me for a while and it took a lot of time and work to get them to come around. They had spent the last six months in a cage with very little human interaction.They were physically healthy, but their emotional needs were neglected. Everyday was a battle just to get them out of their cage! But I kept at it and i guess eventually they trusted me and now they come to me, they follow me around the house and they like to sit on my head and preen me. I'll never forget Joop or LiLo, I still love them dearly and not a day goes by that I don't think about them,but I love my boys just as much and I wouldn't trade them for anything!
Ashleighdale
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: No

Return to Introductions