Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What new sections/changes would you like to see on the forum

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

Re: What new sections/changes would you like to see on the forum

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Unfortunately there isn't a way to unmark a topic as read which I think is a bummer too cause sometimes I glanced at a topic to find a huge response. So I figure that I'd like to come back and read/reply later but can't find it again.

There is, however, a subscribe and bookmark feature available for every topic or category. It's at the bottom of the page and looks like this:

sub.jpg
sub.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 8858 times
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Ok, so I bookmarked this topic to see what it does... I didn't see any difference though. Where do you find a list of your bookmarked topics?
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Probably in the user control panel.
Michael
Macaw

Postby HyperD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 am

How about a DIY section where people can post about how to make home made toys and show off their creations?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:43 am

It's a possibility but as I've mentioned before, (unless I know myself that I could make 10+ posts to get it started) other people have to come forward and propose a list of thread subjects of possible posts to demonstrate the merit of an entirely different section rather than just starting a single post in general for it. If you and some other people can show enough question/post ideas to merit a separate section that will be utilized, I'm all for it. I just don't want to make a new section that will just sit empty.
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:54 am

I really like the idea of the DIY section. It would be easier to navigate if it had it's own section rather than just one thread. You could have DIY foraging toys, swings, perches, rope toys, shredding toys, etc. as seperate threads then people could add on their ideas and comments onto each of those threads. I really hope there are some people on here that are interested in getting the ball rolling and posting their ideas and inventions. I would do it but I only buy toys, I haven't had the time to try to be creative yet :?

If enough people are interested in contributing to it we could give it a try, then if there isn't enough information being posted to it over the next couple weeks it could be removed and changed to one thread?

So... I'm just going to sit here patiently and hope that a few people start volunteering to contribute... :)
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:16 am

What about making it a bit more broad and calling it something like "Parrot toys, accessories, and DIY"? That way everything toy related would end up there as we don't have a specific toy section at this time.

Still, I'd need to be assured that at least 10+ topics could be started almost immediately to get it going and that there would be continued interest in such a section in the long term to justify it's presence. By all means, I'd be thrilled to create a section that sparks new participation but the last thing I want to do is water down the forum by making too many categories.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Millsy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:31 am

Michael i feel that a "Parrot toys, accessories, and DIY" section would be great and i am looking into getting some supplies to build my own perches that i could do a "How to build perches" thread if you was to create such a section. However wouldn't be able to start it immediately as i still need to think of a few things to put on the list of materials i need.
Millsy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None, yet!
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 am

Is it possible to do sub forums? For example, would it be possible to have a sub forum in Parrot Species for specific species? So I click on Parrot Species and then there are sub forums and I want info for my senegal so I click on Poicephalus. There could be Pois, Conures, Cockatoos etc... or even broader, like African Parrots, Australian Parrots, South American Parrots etc.

Same idea for the toy section... a sub forum for DIY and a sub forum for Favorite Toys etc. It seems like it would be more concise and organized that way. Also, if a new person joins and they want info on their type of bird, they could easily find all info for their specific species in one place.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:33 am

It is possible. But not only is it more navigation, but we don't have enough posts/members to fill up so many species specific sections. Ok, there might be 10 posts in Pois but like 2 in some other group. I don't want to narrow things down too much and leave sections bare until there is more activity.
Michael
Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos