Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Possible New Section: Parrot Personals

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

Should we have a section for sharing personal parrot stuff?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 25

Possible New Section: Parrot Personals

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm not really sure how to call such a section but basically it would be for all personal parrot stories. Basically I wasn't thinking much about it but when in response to my Kili birthday topic, someone suggested someone else announce their parrot's birthday, I began to dread the General/Off Topic section getting filled to no ends with birthday announcements, etc. It's not that I don't want such threads, I just don't want them overwhelming an important section where many parrot issues are being discussed.

So I propose a new section that is meant for all personal stories regarding parrots including:

-Sharing parrot pictures/videos
-Telling personal anecdotes about parrot
-Parrot birthday or progress announcements
-Pretty much anything that is personally related to a specific parrot

Basically any thread that features someones own parrot where the owner is just sharing something but no discussion (beyond "that's nice") is anticipated in response would go in this new section. Of course any story or pictures that are meant to start a discussion that ranges beyond just that person's own parrot, it still belongs in other appropriate sections but the personal announcements would go in this new one.

Now what I need to know is who is interested in such a section, what else belongs in it, and what it should be called? Feel absolutely free to vote "no" if you think it is unnecessary, inappropriate, or will dilute the forum.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Possible New Section: Parrot Personals

Postby Rue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:24 pm

I like the idea of the personal anecdotes... :thumbsup:

But I'm not a 'Happy Birthday' fan...not that I don't wish everyone and their pets a happy day, because I do...but it just gets too much. We're not big into celebrating our own birthdays...never mind the critters.

But for those that do, maybe a Happy Birthday section of its own? That way those who enjoy birthday announcements can indulge...and those of us who don't can avoid?
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby MandyG » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:27 pm

I like the idea! It's nice to hear about personal things, especially from long-term members. And this way it will keep out of the other sections so those that aren't interested in such things don't have to sift through the 'meaningless' posts to find actual discussions.

It would be nice if only one thread was created for each parrot. For example if I want to write about my parrot's hatchday then I could, and then in a few weeks if there's something else that I want to post about that doesn't require discussion I could add it onto the birthday thread. That way there isn't 20 different posts about every little thing one parrot does.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Banksie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:28 pm

I voted yes; think it's a great idea and will only add to the forum. Suggested names:

My Parrot
Your Parrot
Birds and Pictures (there used to be a children's programme here called "words and pictures" - might not work if people are under the age of 30 or not English!)
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:35 pm

The section name needs to be really clear (so new members know to post these kinds of things there) and should fit with the naming scheme of other sections.

I agree with Mandy. We will either have one thread "happy birthday parrot" and anyone can mention their parrot there or when someone starts a thread like "Mojo" they can add their updates there. The "pictures of your parrots" and sections like that would be moved over to the new section and we'd still keep it as a general section to share photos of our birds as a community. However, if someone is dumping a dozen or more photos or if there is any bit of discussion to be had, it can merit its own thread in the personal section. Starting a whole new topic just for posting one picture (unless that picture is something astonishing and elicits a massive discussion) is a bit ridiculous.

As always, before I'd even consider creating a new section, I must be assured that there are at least 10-20 new topics that would pop up or carry over to that section within the first weeks so that it wouldn't be a bald spot. Any topic ideas that you'd like to start if such a section is created, let me know.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 pm

I like the idea of grouping any casual parrot talk into one section.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby lzver » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 am

I voted yes. I would participate in this type of section on the forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Kim S » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:55 am

Definately yes. It could be like a hang out place to post silly random things your birds get up to every day that dont fit into any other catagory.

A lot of forums I visit have a topic called "tea-time" or something. Its just one long ongoing topic where everyone can just post whatever is on their minds. Like a chatbox only in the shape of a forum.
Not sure whether you would like to have something that random on yor site though.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:06 am

What about calling it "Parrot Chit Chat" or "Parrot Chatter"?

The other question is where to put it? Obviously not parrot care, training, or flight areas. That only leaves making a new area or putting it in welcome. I dunno, does it fit in welcome? Or is it better to have at the bottom and out of the way?
Michael
Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 am

i think it would be best to put it in its own little category at the bottom yeah you could call it parrot chatter or parrot tails or something like that
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Next

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos