Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What brings you here?

Be familiar with the forum rules and check back for announcements. New collaborative videos discussion.

How did you come across The Parrot Forum?

Word of mouth
1%
Invited
1%
KiliParrot Youtube
26%
Trained Parrot Blog
12%
Parrot Forum search
22%
General parrot info search
34%
Linked from other parrot site
3%

Total votes : 144

Re: What brings you here?

Postby LisaB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:31 pm

I was looking for good information on Cape Parrots and came across Michael's blogs about Truman. They were very informative and many times made me laugh out loud. Then I started watching Michael's YouTube videos and have just really enjoyed them. My youngest daughter, who's 11, adores Truman. I've not really participated in a forum before and decided to give it a try. I also ordered a harness for my Cape from here. My birds have been flighted for years, but I'd like to safely take them on trips around the neighborhood more often. My husband told me he'd leave if I put them in a bird stoller for walks, lol! (I am of course going to do it now just to see the look on his face) I decided to start with Oshie, my Cape, as he's still young and it was easy to get him to accept the harness. Michael's DVDs were quite helpful and entertaining. Sweet birds, great guy!
LisaB
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 25
Types of Birds Owned: Green-winged Macaws, Yellow-collared Macaw, Quakers, Black-capped Caiques, Green-naped Lorikeet, Cockatiel, Budgies, Green-cheeked Conure, Crimson-bellied Conure, Sun Conure, Patagonian Conures, Yellow-naped Amazon, Cape Parrot, Lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:28 am

I joined because I wanted to learn more about parrots and tell other what I knew and parrot wizards you tube was neat
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby Chantilly » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:43 pm

I came from both Killi on youtube and the Trained parrot blog, But I found the blog through your youtube. so Ill vote youtube :p
I joined because I want to lean more about parrot and how to keep them entertained, happy and helthy :)
Last edited by Chantilly on Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Chantilly » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:12 am

[quote="Chantilly"]I came from both Killi on youtube and the Trained parrot blog, But I found the blog through your youtube. so Ill vote youtube :p
I joined because I want to lean more about parrot and how to keep them entertained, happy and healthy :)

Hmm, I dont jnow whipy this doubled up.
Can it erased?
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby mmeager » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:41 am

Only parrot forum I have been on, I bought one of your books, which lead me to your website, which lead me here.
Being a new bird owner all my private time has been on research, and the value of information in this forum has been incredible. Not to mention the support of your main members. And your moderator has been exceptional in his knowledge, experience, and help.
Here is a place we can express our thoughts, feelings, worries, joy, and give each other support and information, all on common grounds.
I certainly intend on being here for a very long time! Although I may be quiet for some time.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Although we have had parrots since 1997 this is the first time I have had a baby. I wanted to start things off right with Tupi my 5 month old black headed caique.
I spotted Michael's videos on YouTube and from there found this site and forum. The training techniques shown make sense and they work.
After a few weeks Tupi will step up, target, fly to me when I call and go to his cage on command. He is now starting to wave too. So very pleased with his progress.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Bultaco » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 pm

I came here to find out if there are likely to be any "dire consequences" to changing our DY Amazon's lifestyle. All in the interest of housekeeping!

I won't get into it here and now, but I'll be posting questions about cages in whatever I find to be the appropriate section of the forum.
You can call me Scotty
Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it!
Bultaco
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow-Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Bultaco » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:47 pm

I came here to find out if there are likely to be any "dire consequences" to changing our DY Amazon's lifestyle. All in the interest of housekeeping!

I won't get into it here and now, but I'll be posting questions about cages in whatever I find to be the appropriate section of the forum.
You can call me Scotty
Bultaco
Parrotlet

Postby Bultaco » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:36 pm

Loriusgarrulus wrote:Although we have had parrots since 1997 this is the first time I have had a baby. I wanted to start things off right with Tupi my 5 month old black headed caique.
I spotted Michael's videos on YouTube and from there found this site and forum. The training techniques shown make sense and they work.
After a few weeks Tupi will step up, target, fly to me when I call and go to his cage on command. He is now starting to wave too. So very pleased with his progress.

WOW, that IS amazing progress. Will you be attempting to use any of the "training techniques" on your other bird... Or do you suppose it's too difficult to teach an old bird new tricks? :-)
You can call me Scotty
Bultaco
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:36 am

The post is old and the member has not posted for a long time BUT, in any case, training a baby is never recommended. They only learn short-term, it backfires and it imperils the human-bird relationship.

And all birds [actually, all animals], regardless of age can learn new things -same as old people [I am one and I learn new things all the time :D ]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Rules, Announcements, and Collaborative Videos