Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What happens to your Parrots after you're gone

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: What happens to your Parrots after you're gone

Postby galeriagila » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:42 pm

I simply must OUTLIVE the Rird. I promised him.
Bittersweetly, my world-class avian vet told me (threatened me?) that the Rb may well live another 20 years. I'll need to make it to my mid-80s.
But, yes, I'm building contacts, possibilities, alternatives.
The Rb deserves better than my denial/hopes/prayers!

GREAT THREAD!
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:13 am

Pajarita wrote:
alienlady wrote:I have been looking into some sanctuaries recently. One is looking quite good but I haven't made a decision just yet.

I used to swear by sanctuaries but have changed my mind about them because I now think that pet birds don't really do well without a human.

I'm not keen because I want her to go to a single woman as an only bird.
The person I spoke with has a Parrot wildlife park about 40 odd miles from me but I haven't been there. He and his staff keep birds for rehoming in their own homes or keep them themselves. Birds are signed over to them so that they can take them away if the new owner lets them down. One thing I would like to see is the man's house. Apparently his entire house is for his Parrots, should be worth seeing :lol:
Hopefully the right person will come along at some point if it's meant to be :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:50 am

Well, I tell you, I also used to think that one person can keep many birds happy but I no longer believe that, either. Well, let me rephrase that, I believe that a single person can keep a lot of birds happy IF these birds are aviary species living in flock OR if there are a number of bonded pairs and just one or two single ones but, if we are talking about large species that are deeply imprinted to people and not to other birds, nobody can. Because it's not a matter of infrastructure, money, time, willingness or anything that can be acquired or worked through, it has to do with a person having only one body and not being able to split him/herself several ways. All parrots are, essentially, one-person pets so, although they will establish relationships with other birds and/or humans, they would cleave to the chosen one and would resent sharing him/her tremendously. And that's the reason why I work so hard to get my birds to mate-bond to another bird.

So when you hear about people with a large number of birds, you are talking about birds that are not really as happy as they could be. It can't be done. Not to everybirdy's satisfaction.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby alienlady » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 pm

I agree entirely that's why I have one bird. People take birds in with the best intentions , you can't dedicate yourself completely to all of them. I used to take in aviary cockatiels when I had an aviary.
For Liseth I know what I want , just hope the right person comes along.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:52 am

You just have to give yourself a lot of time looking. I've been looking for a new owner for Pookey for months and I think that I might have found him -not final yet because I have to do a home inspection.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby alienlady » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 pm

I hope that turns out well for both of you, keeping my fingers crossed for Pookey.
alienlady
Poicephalus

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic