Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:05 am

AWWWW, how very nice for her to go live with a flock!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby alienlady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 am

That's terrific news ! You're having real success lately :D
alienlady
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue fronted amazon

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:15 am

alienlady wrote:That's terrific news ! You're having real success lately :D

We had to put the adoption program on hold for quite a while when we took in all those birds that were seized. We still can't intake new birds (nowhere to quarantine them), but we are beginning to be able to find homes for the birds who aren't involved in this court case.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Pikachu, our little juvenile Sun Conure was adopted by her foster mom!

She had been bonded to a tiny little budgie named Ash. I was so worried about Ash, as Pikachu was easily triple his size. Pikachu is really more interested in people. Ash was able to be integrated into a flock of budgies, and he is happy there. Pikachu is happy in her new home. These two had been cute together, but I worried that it was only a matter of time before Ash got hurt. They are young birds, I think separating them now was the right move.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Oh, yes, they will both be much happier! Budgies are VERY flock oriented so there's no doubt that his being in a flock is a huge improvement in his life while sun conures seem to do VERY well if given enough one-on-one time. My other sunnies and jendays all had bird companions but, although I would love to find a boyfriend for Sunny, her special diet presents a bit of a problem and now that Zoey Senegal has weaned herself of being my shoulder 'growth', Sunny has gladly taken her place after Codee GCC goes back to Pablo.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:14 am

I cannot foster. I would not let any go and have to adopt them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 am

Yes, it's very hard to let them go, especially at the beginning, and there are always 'failures' when the foster parent ends up adopting the bird but it's a real good thing to do for the poor birds because rescues, no matter how good they are, are not really good places for parrots. Navre mentioned a moluccan that has been in the rescue for 6 years and my heart broke when I read that... I can't take him but I also have not stopped thinking about the poor bird living in limbo for so many years!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:01 am

I don't remember reading about the mollucan , it was probably way before I joined . What was wrong that they couldn't find a home for him? Just met with Chris over the weekend from N/W Bird Rescue and we're talking about putting my avairys working under his umbrella. It's still in the serious talk stage but I'm leaning towards doing it. He came and filmed my facility and met with all the fids , he seemed quite excited . Just like Liz and navre , I would have to learn how to get over the attachment when fostering birds as I would want them all to stay. I have extra housing to set-up a quarantine room the right way detached from the house so's not to put my flock at risk. This way I can write off the hired help and a portion of expenses associated with the rescue . He brought down 3 bins of beautiful lg. Parrot toys they make that are refillable for the fids but there are so many I think I'm going to take some to my vets office and see if he wants to distribute for the program. One thing that I can help them with right from the beginning is marketing and making money for the rescue. We're both excited and he went back to Washington with 2 pickups and 2 trailers full of manzanita. I have lots more lined up for them. We will see I still have one leg on the fence because I'm OCD when I start something and will go to the extreme to make sure it's the best! :lol:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Be careful not to over-extend yourself and end up overwhelmed but not admitting it. That's what happened to me and I ended up losing a lot of weight, with my blood pressure out of control and my blood not coagulating properly which sent me to the emergency room after a biopsy because I wouldn't stop bleeding.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Understood , this will enable me to write off the hired help and I have several people that have committed to volunteering. Actually if I do this right someday I might have a staff I can trust built up where I may be able to get away once a year. I'm in the process of purchasing a building that will be set up on the property to house quarantined birds if it is a large rescue. We so need one in this area. I've turned down several so far this year but if I have the big rescues umbrella over me and they take care of the paper work I'll be fine. I'll keep you posted BW :thumbsup:
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic