Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:22 am

Pajarita wrote:Oh, wow, it must have been so heartbreaking when so many of the rescued birds kept on dying! I well know how that is! The thing is that you know it's touch and go but, the heart being as it is, one ALWAYS has the hope that 'this time' they are going to make it but the greatest majority of them don't... and even the ones that do, have problems that will, eventually, kill them before their time.

I meant to ask you, there was no home inspection for the touracos? I mean, how do you do an adoption to so far away?

That pair of Turacos did not go to a home. Some sort of program at the Houston Zoo. I don't know much about it, but our director researched it for quite a long time. She's pretty tough, so I'm confident that it will be good for the birds. I've learned to trust her judgement and instincts on things.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Hmmm, I don't know... I hate zoos. Everything you see and read about them sounds wonderful but that's because people don't find out what goes on behind the scenes...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:37 pm

A pair of Conures was adopted today. A blue and a green.
Last edited by Navre on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 am

Oh, I love it when I hear that birds are adopted but, when they adopt a pair, it's Christmas!!! :D
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 pm

We have 4 budgies left. All females. I want them to all go together.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 am

If I had to ever down size I decided to rehome mated pairs since they are much more secure than the singles Since I do not know there ages, when one of them die they can come back and get a single that the bird knows to help it with it's greaving. I would have to visit the home before I could rehome though. I would have to check it again before letting them have a single.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:07 am

I do the same thing. I never rehome little ones as singles UNLESS it's a special case - and I ALWAYS do a home inspection before they get the bird[s].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am

The budgies we have left are 3 big, green, English budgies, and 1 sky blue and white female. I thought the blue one was a male, but I looked the other day, and it's a female. We had a male that looked just like her, but he must have been adopted.

The English ones seem like the can't see too well. I think one of them is totally blind. I think they are old. There were 4 of them, but one died a few months back.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:28 am

Awwwwww, poor things - so sad for old birds to end up in a rescue. Are you giving them a special low protein diet and some supplements? Some milk thistle would help...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Bridge, our 20-year-old !ale Blue and Gold went home yesterday. He was adopted by a longtime friend of the rescue.

A pair of Greencheek Conures, Cinnamon and Nutmeg went home today. They had come to us from Weston. They came a long way.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic