Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"Green" non stick cookware

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

"Green" non stick cookware

Postby pchela » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:18 pm

I've been trying to research these pots and pans. They are supposedly non stick but do not contain PTFE and PFOA which are the harmful bits in Teflon. Does anybody have any experience with these and if you've used them, are you parrots still among the living?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Re: "Green" non stick cookware

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Mine are black, they don't stick, and they are cast iron.

I wouldn't trust anything that is marketed as non-stick because they may just be rebranding or renaming teflon when it is really the same thing. I'd be too nervous to test it to find out. But I have to say that I am really satisfied with cast iron. It's really not as big of a hassle as people make it out to be.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: "Green" non stick cookware

Postby pchela » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:35 pm

I have cast iron and stainless cookware which is good for most things but there are a few things that I just can't seem to make in them without sticking like crazy such as fried rice and a few other things. The "green" cookware is probably too good to be true right now though. Even if it is bird safe, I think it's too new to try. I'll have to let other people test it out first. I can't risk it.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to General & Off Topic