Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Relocating to USA from UK with My Conure

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Relocating to USA from UK with My Conure

Postby DezertBLU » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:39 pm

My husband and I are going back to the USA by the end of this year, so I am trying my best to figure out the hows and whats of reloacting an English born Green Cheek Conure with us.Before we owned this particular parrot, we owned a 3rd hand Black headed caique.I loved that bird, but it had been from home to home by the time we got it, and this poor thing was mentally disturbed, we hung on for 3 years hopeful it would settle in, but it never did..it was highly agressive and would attack everyone and everything , many severe bites and scratches later my husband and I gave up and rehomed it with a Parrot whisperer, he has lived happily with them no problems for 4 years now.This brief history is why it is so important to us to take JoJo(the conure) with us, we LOVE him to bits and do not want to be responsible for messing up his mind or personality as he is quite simply such a lovely bird with the most wonderful personality you could ever hope for.Anyone who knows the proceedures and requirements to ship him please be in touch, also we cant take him on the ship we are using to relocate on so we need to know what are our options for shipping him to us from the UK? HELP!
DezertBLU
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Relocating to USA from UK with My Conure

Postby MissLady9902 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:57 am

I'm pretty sure that you'll have to quarantine him for 60ish days before customs will let him go overseas.
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Suzzique » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 pm

I would check with customs. I'm sure that there are things that you will have to do from both the UK end as well as the US end. I know birds and other animals being shipped into the US have to go threw quarinteen even with all kinds of paperwork saying the animal/bird is healthy ect. Hope all goes well for you.
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Kathleen » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Birds may be imported as pets as long as you comply with APHIS and U.S. Fish and Wildlife requirements.

Advisory: Until further notice, there is a temporary ban on the importation of pet birds from countries/ regions affected with highly pathogenic Avian influenza subtype H5NI. See the Animal and Animal Product Import Information page for more information. ( Animal and Animal Product Import Information )

All non-U.S. origin pet birds imported into the United States (except from Canada) are required to be quarantined for 30 days in a USDA animal import quarantine facility at the owner's expense. A reservation at the facility must be made in advance by contacting the USDA port veterinarian at one of the special ports of entry listed below. A cost estimate for the quarantine will be provided at that time. Once the reservation is made and payment is received in full for all quarantine services, the animal import quarantine facility will issue a USDA import permit (VS Form17-129). This permit must accompany the bird while in transit.

The USDA defines pet birds as those that are imported for personal pleasure of their individual owners and are not intended for resale.

Document and Quarantine Requirements:

* USDA import permit (VS Form17-129);
* Current Health Certificate issued by a full-time salaried veterinarian of the agency responsible for animal health of the national government in the exporting country of origin;
* 30-day Quarantine in an USDA Animal Import Center; and
* Fish and Wildlife Services Certification (if necessary).

USDA Quarantine Centers and Ports of Entry
All non-U.S. origin pet birds must enter the country and undergo quarantine at one of the following import quarantine facilities.

These are the only ports of entry available for importing non-U.S. origin pet birds.

New York City
230-59 Rockaway Blvd., Suite 101
Jamaica, NY 11413
Telephone: (718) 553-1727
Fax: (718) 553-7543

Miami Animal Import Center
USDA-APHIS-VS
6300 NW 36 Street
Miami, FL 33122
Telephone: (305) 526-2926
Fax: (305) 526-2929

Los Angeles