Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:30 am

There should be a special punishment for cruel and neglecting humans.

I am so glad to see the remaining birds looking so good with enough energy now to play. The only comfort they had before was that they knew they were surrounded by other birds and were not alone.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:42 am

Poor, poor, poor babies!!! I really cannot understand some people... I can understand people not adopting instead of buying - I don't agree with it but I can see how some people, out of ignorance, thinks that a baby is better than an adult - but to starve animals or not give them water or keep them in filth?! There is something VERY wrong with a person who can do that!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:51 am

And while the animals in their are starving these people are no doubt stuffing their faces without any guilt at all.
stevesjk
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 am

Well, this was a pet store owner so no big surprise that he didn't really care for the animals but I remember the case of the president of a rescue group [The Bailey Foundation, if memory serves] who left animals in the home they moved out of and the animals die from thirst and hunger - later, her husband said it was his fault for not going there to feed them but I think she was guilty even if that was the truth because, if you are the president of a bird rescue group and left animals behind in an empty house, wouldn't you check on them every day? There was even a cockatoo that was supposed to have been her personal pet in there...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Cheerio the U2 decided to chew through my watch band today. He was also getting my arm as he did it. I placed him back in his cage and he chomped down on my finger. I was surprised at just how much pressure there was. I was less surprised by the amount of blood. That area looked like OJ Simpson's front porch.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:37 am

I am sorry, I don't mean to make light of your wound [I well know how painful those hard bites can be!] but :lol: I know EXACTLY what you mean! Fingers [and heads!] bleed A LOT and yes, their beaks are EXTRAORDINARILY strong! This is something that one knows on a rational level but, for some reason, it doesn't really register until they bite you and you experience it 'in the flesh'. In my personal experience, most parrots would bite you and let go almost immediately but there are some that simply would hang on and put even more pressure - cockatoos are like that and so are senegals.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 am

Pajarita wrote:I am sorry, I don't mean to make light of your wound [I well know how painful those hard bites can be!] but :lol: I know EXACTLY what you mean! Fingers [and heads!] bleed A LOT and yes, their beaks are EXTRAORDINARILY strong! This is something that one knows on a rational level but, for some reason, it doesn't really register until they bite you and you experience it 'in the flesh'. In my personal experience, most parrots would bite you and let go almost immediately but there are some that simply would hang on and put even more pressure - cockatoos are like that and so are senegals.

What Cheerio did reminded me of what Weston, our Sengal does to me. When I go to put her back into the cage, she bites and won't let go. Or course, that's not a big deal with a Sennie. Especially her, she's tiny. I usually put a nut in her mouth, now.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 am

Weeeeellll, I don't know that I would call an aggressive Senegal 'not a big deal'! Sweetpea was the bane of my existence for years! It was so bad, I actually dreaded going into the birdroom! Of course, a Senegal bite cannot compare to a cockatoo's because although the Senegal's can do damage and hurt, they don't have the strength in their beaks that a cockatoo has! I mean, Linus could have broken or chopped off my finger with no problem if he had wanted to...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:02 am

The vet was in and took a look at the U2 who bit me. She thinks she may be getting ready to lay an egg. The bird is 23 with no egg laying history that we know of. Isn't this the wrong time of year for this? I can't wait to get my new sunrise-sunset timers!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic