Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:24 pm

And that would be a perfect name for this little white one: Angel! Because he is white and had a guardian angel looking out for him/her!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:33 pm

We have a pair of festive amazons? Never saw one before. Never even heard of the species. They are dimorphicish. The male had more color on the head. This is the male.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Hmmm, I might be wrong on this as I have not really read anything on this species for a long time but, for what I remember, they are not dimorphic. There is the nominate species, usually called just Festive, and then there is the subspecies, usually called Bodine's - the bird you show on the picture is a Bodine's. They have the wider and brighter red band on their crown with the black line under it and the blue wash all over their faces while the nominate has a narrow strip of darker red (almost maroon), the black line and blue behind the eyes only (they also say that the Bodine's green feathers have a more yellow tinge than the Festiva's but I've never seen either in person so I don't know if this is true).

Beautiful birds but not good pets...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Pajarita wrote:Hmmm, I might be wrong on this as I have not really read anything on this species for a long time but, for what I remember, they are not dimorphic. There is the nominate species, usually called just Festive, and then there is the subspecies, usually called Bodine's - the bird you show on the picture is a Bodine's. They have the wider and brighter red band on their crown with the black line under it and the blue wash all over their faces while the nominate has a narrow strip of darker red (almost maroon), the black line and blue behind the eyes only (they also say that the Bodine's green feathers have a more yellow tinge than the Festiva's but I've never seen either in person so I don't know if this is true).

Beautiful birds but not good pets...

They're fairly quiet, and they seem friendly enough. One is a good talker. They are escape artists, though.

This guy is bigger and has more blue on the head than his mate, but then again, the amount of blue doesn't tell sex in a BFA, so maybe I'm just assuming male and female. I'll try to get a picture of them together.

We also have a pair of yellow shouldered amazons. They have a reddish splash on the yellow forehead. One has more red, so I was assuming he was the male. Again, not necessary, I guess. We also have a single yellow shouldered.

We have a beautiful all-white bird called a Princess of Wales. They have named it Dianna.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I don't know anything to speak of about the Princess Parrot, but if it is all white then you must have a Lutino or albino mutation as they are not normally white. Here is a link to them on The World Parrot Trust site, https://www.parrots.org/encyclopedia/princess-parrot
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:17 pm

It has to be an albino because the lutino POW's have red around the beak - like this one:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=lu ... ajaxhist=0

There are albinos, lutinos and blue ones, too.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 am

It has pink eyes, so I'm assuming albino.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:53 am

Yep, pink or red eyes do mean albino or, at the very least, highly leucistic.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:15 am

https://www.facebook.com/donate/1427839877228842/

The Gates Foundation, through Facebook, is matching donations today, up to $1000.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:08 am

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/posts ... 0352908860

Mango, our Sunday conure, and Pee Wee, our brown throated conure went home yesterday. I'll especially miss Pee Wee. I knew she wouldn't be here long. They're going to a great home!
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic