Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:33 am

A beautiful pair of Black Capped lories. We also have a single. They are very nice birds.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:35 am

Max the Moluccan! He is a great bird and many are interested in him. He has the sweetest voice and he talks a lot. He will need a very special home. He won't be able to be left alone much. He will need a lot of attention and affection. He mutilates.
Last edited by Navre on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:02 am

The lories are absolutely stunning! Yes, please make sure you don't adopt poor Max to anybody who works, goes on vacations or has children. He needs somebody there for him all the time - or another bird that he could bond to.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:32 am

Pajarita wrote:The lories are absolutely stunning! Yes, please make sure you don't adopt poor Max to anybody who works, goes on vacations or has children. He needs somebody there for him all the time - or another bird that he could bond to.

Max was paired up with another Moluccan when we got them, and that was a bit of a disaster. They did not get along at all. They are both mutilators. They have both done much better since being separated.

Our executive director is a great advocate for our birds, and she has great instincts. She also has a 'too and understands them. I know there are some good candidates for Max and I hope one of them works out. He is better off staying here at the rescue until he can find the right home. He cannot be left alone while people go off to work all day. He has the advantage that everyone loves him and everyone wants him. So he has a lot of potential owners from which to choose.

On Friday, I had Max in the kitchen while I was making chop. I switched knives and Max FREAKED OUT about the new knife. He went wild. I had to hide the knife and leave the room. Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking, or what they have experienced in the past.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:36 am

I figured your favorite would be Rio the BFA, Paj!

Do you know what kind of Lory that rainbow-type one is? Is it a Swansons, or something like that? There are so many different variations that a son similar, I can't keep track. We have a ling-tailed shiny black one that I can't find in any book.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:47 am

We had a quartet of English Budgies (all female). One was blind and seemed old. She passed away recently. On Friday I took the 3 English Budgies and put them in the BIG flight cage with all of the little, beautiful budgies we have.

At first they stayed on the floor of the cage. Ash, the tiniest little male budgie came down and was either greeting them or harassing them. It was really cute and we took video of it, but I can't find the video right now. The best part was when the big English budgies realized that they had room to fly. Pure joy as they flew from the floor of the cage, up to to top, and back down. Then back and forth across the bottom.

I kept an eye on them all day. I wanted to see if they would need some food and water dishes on the bottom for overnight. But by about 3PM, all three bird had integrated into the flock and were up on various perches, swings, and boings, not even together, but with other birds from the flock. They're such flock birds. Even though they're twice the size of the other budgies, they're still budgies. They are bigger, but slower, so I figured the balance of power will remain stable.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:16 pm

I hadn't checked the previous page! AWWWW! Such wonderfully beautiful babies - I love them all! The GCCs still have so many black spots on their backs, poor things! And I used to have a bronzewing myself in the rescue! A beautiful female I had named Morena - the sweetest thing ever and so pretty! They don't look colorful at all at first sight but, when you look at them carefully, you see the wonderful iridescence characteristic of their plumage and are hooked! One morning I found her dead right under her roosting perch... the necropsy came back inconclusive as to cause of death but my vet said she was a mess inside and that she must have lived under a huge amount of stress for many years for her organs to look like that. But those don't look like lilac crowned amazons, they look like Mexicans to me!

This is lilac crown [see the smaller and much darker purplish red than the ones you have?] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilac-crowned_amazon

and this is Mexican [aka as greencheeked or redcrowned] and what I think you have there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-crowned_amazon

And YES!!!! on the budgies [wonderful, wonderful story!]. People don't realize how intensely flock oriented these little birds are or would NEVER have them alone! My experience has always been just as you described: birds that were by themselves or in a pair and find themselves in a large flight cage with a small flock and all of a sudden seem to explode in a burst of pure joy!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:32 pm

You could be right about those amazons. They don't look like lilacs at all.

And the new posts go back 2 pages! :)
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Navre wrote:Image

Some kind of Lorry. This is one of a bonded pair. Awesome birds.

This is the one I can't quite Identify. Swanson's maybe?
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Maybe a coconut lorikeet?
Navre
African Grey