Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue!

Postby Navre » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am

Pajarita wrote:Weeeeellll, I don't know that I would call an aggressive Senegal 'not a big deal'! Sweetpea was the bane of my existence for years! It was so bad, I actually dreaded going into the birdroom! Of course, a Senegal bite cannot compare to a cockatoo's because although the Senegal's can do damage and hurt, they don't have the strength in their beaks that a cockatoo has! I mean, Linus could have broken or chopped off my finger with no problem if he had wanted to...

Our Sennie, Weston is a tiny little thing. (She became Weston because, at the time, we had another Sennie so she was "the Weston Senegal." It got shortened.)

I think she had a mate which you can see dead in the video I posted. Weston is a very friendly and VERY smart bird. She always says "Hi guys" when I walk into the office. We have 3 birds in there. They are birds we think need a little more peace and quiet than the main floor gives them. The other two are also birds we keep cage-free. So Weston knows that I say "hi guys" when I walk in there. She only says that when I walk in. This wouldn't be so amazing, but I'm only there 1 or 2 days a week, and she's only been in the office since June. I don't know how long she has been saying it, because she has a quiet little voice, and her speech isn't super clear.

EDIT : I made a several posts. Don't miss the stuff on the previous page!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:01 am

Navre wrote:The vet was in and took a look at the U2 who bit me. She thinks she may be getting ready to lay an egg. The bird is 23 with no egg laying history that we know of. Isn't this the wrong time of year for this? I can't wait to get my new sunrise-sunset timers!

No, it's PRECISELY the right time of the year - fall starts the day after tomorrow!. I had an argument with my husband over the bite [what else is new? :roll:] because, as usual, he says that I 'let them' bite me, and, when I said that it was because he was hormonal, he replied that I said the same thing in the spring [I forget but I guess he must have bit me then, too :D ] so I explained that toos have two breeding seasons: spring AND fall. And, as we all know, toos are 'hormonal birds' [which gets worse when they have a good diet and no good light schedule]. That's why Linus bit me. He has been super busy with his cardboard boxes and spending almost all his time working in them and he was standing next to one while I was feeding him the banana.

Awww, Weston sounds lovely! And yes, apparently, sennies speech takes a bit of getting your ear used to it. I can understand everything Sweetpea says but I sometimes have to translate for other people even though it sounds perfectly clear to me -and I am half deaf! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 am

Marley, our yellow IRN went home on Friday! He is quite a funny little bird. He can be a bit cage aggressive, but he loves his new owner, and a bigger cage and more out-of-cage time will probably help.

https://www.facebook.com/riparrot/posts ... 4922829664
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:19 am

Oh, that's great great news! But he is going to need a different carrier because the one he has is great for a cat or a small dog but it will not last with a parrot :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Pajarita wrote:Oh, that's great great news! But he is going to need a different carrier because the one he has is great for a cat or a small dog but it will not last with a parrot :lol:

I hated that carrier! I tried to give him the one I keep in my car, but he didn't want it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:56 pm

If you look at the video you can see the picture of the breeder boxes covered in bugs. I have a breeder box here I bought for Irwin. I thought it would be a good place for him to hide. The problem is, whenever I look at the breeder box is still "see" the bugs.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Bird woman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:24 am

Everybody in my house is giving it the last ditch effort on the hormonal and egg laying thing. Pearly the umbrella that was so sick when she got here has laid 2 which I promptly replaced with phoney ones. Can't wait till it's over. :shock: I have been trying to keep all box's and hiding places to a minimum so not to encourage nesting. :P
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am

Navre wrote:If you look at the video you can see the picture of the breeder boxes covered in bugs. I have a breeder box here I bought for Irwin. I thought it would be a good place for him to hide. The problem is, whenever I look at the breeder box is still "see" the bugs.

Yes, I saw the boxes covered in bugs! Give him a cardboard box instead. I find them more practical than wooden ones because the birds poop on them and, with the cardboard ones, all you have to do is throw them out and put a new one in. Much cleaner and easy!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:58 am

Bird woman wrote:Everybody in my house is giving it the last ditch effort on the hormonal and egg laying thing. Pearly the umbrella that was so sick when she got here has laid 2 which I promptly replaced with phoney ones. Can't wait till it's over. :shock: I have been trying to keep all box's and hiding places to a minimum so not to encourage nesting. :P

:lol: I do the exact opposite and I'll tell you why. It seems to me that if a behavior is hardwired into their brains [as building a nest is for male cockatoos and for the females to actually SEE the male doing it], not allowing them the behaviors has to create anxiety and anxiety causes aggression so it must be better to actually allow them to do it. Mind you, the 'anxiety causes aggression' is a huge extrapolation from human behavior [you know how people becomes extremely short-tempered when anxious or under undue stress - maybe I should say 'mammal behavior' and not just human because it happens to dogs, cats, etc] but the premise has worked for me. I actually give all my birds the opportunity to follow all their breeding behaviors - I actually encourage it! And it works! Linus might have bit me but you should see all the feathers he has allowed to grow this year! His body is actually almost all covered by feathers! Not that he has perfect plumage because he doesn't but you only see a few 'skin spots' on him now because he has down almost everywhere and, when he came, he had more skin showing than feathers and no primaries at all! And I am CONVINCED it's not only because he lives cage-free with other parrots, under a strict solar schedule and has a good fresh food diet but also because he is now allowed to do what nature programmed him to do. Animals do much, much better both physically AND psychologically when allowed to follow, as close as possible, the life they were supposed to live - and procreation and its 'protocols' are a huge part of that so 'controlling' them could not the answer. I know that everybody on birdsites says the same thing: "Take out the boxes!", "Don't give them nesting material!", "Reduce the number of light hours!", etc but I seriously doubt this makes them happy and that it actually works in our and their benefit.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:06 am

Pajarita wrote:Weeeeellll, I don't know that I would call an aggressive Senegal 'not a big deal'! Sweetpea was the bane of my existence for years! It was so bad, I actually dreaded going into the birdroom! Of course, a Senegal bite cannot compare to a cockatoo's because although the Senegal's can do damage and hurt, they don't have the strength in their beaks that a cockatoo has! I mean, Linus could have broken or chopped off my finger with no problem if he had wanted to...

The worst bite ever was from a cockatiel. Her name was Rosie but her nick name was Pit Bull. She would grab and bite and just not let go like she was trying to take a chunk.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic